House has alarm....can I use it ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Been living in this house for nearly 3 years. I've never been overly concerned about security for various reasons, but recently had a shed broken into so have got some motivation to secure the house.

We know that there is some form of alarm system in the house. Every window and door has a pair of contacts and in one room we have a panic alarm switch. I know the bell box works because I accidentally pressed the panic alarm button one day!

In a cupboard off the hall there is an RS Components box which appears to be some kind of control unit for the system. It is marked with LEDs and words:

SUPPLY ON
TAMPER
CIRCUIT 1
CIRCUIT 2
P.A
ENTRY-EXIT

There is a key switch which is labelled:

OFF
CIRCUIT 1
CIRCUIT 1+2

The box has a screw on one end (opposite the hinge end) which I assume will allow me to open it.

What I'd like to know is how I can test this alarm system? If it works, then I can save myself a huge amount of money. I will need to get a key cut, or maybe even a new key switch.

Any help appreciated....thanks

Sponsored Links
I don't know, you might do better to buy a new control box with instructions. With luck you will find the wires from the sensors still work and can be connected.

You can easily buy a new keyswitch.

If you want to tinker with it, DISCONNECT THE BELL FIRST. You want to train your neighbours that if it goes off, it's a genuine alarm.

Sadly, amateur systems are not much good, and usually no-one pays any attention. If you have a friendly nosy neighbour that may help, especially if you trust them to hold a key.

Make sure the bell or siren goes off after 20 minutes to avoid annoying people more than is reasonable.

Can you take a picture of it? It actaully sounds like it might possibly be something someone has put together themselves :confused:

I'll get a photo shortly.

The contact sensors are actually built into the window frames !?!? I know that the house I live in was built as part of a self-build scheme so each owner had a large amount of personal input to the final product. Perhaps the window frames were constructed to order?

Sponsored Links
Here it is....

rs_alarm.jpg
[/img]

I'd suggest you get a spark from your Yellow Pages who advertises an Alarm service. You don't want the hassle of waiting for a number of hours for one to come to a call out with a bell annoying your neighbours
after you have activated the trip device.

The bell box and the controll panell will probably have a tamper mechanisms.

i would recmmened gettin a new alarm panel/bellobx. you might get away with existing contacts/wiring. where abouts are you?

That old RS alarm panel was sold when RS Components was Radio Spares! It only has 2 zones (circuits) and one hard wired entry exit zone. When they were installed it was quite common to wire multiple window contacts and passive sensors in series so there is no way of knowing how yours is configured. As far as I can remember all you do is set the key switch to circuit 1 or 1&2 and leave the building via the entry exit door. You might need to play around with it to find out what sensors/contacts are wired to what circuit and also which door is the entry exit one.

It was a very basic panel by today’s standards and if I were you I would upgrade.

to echo what has been said, the panel is only good for amusement value
Its too old, can not tell you much.

i would suspect the wiring is using solid drawn cable (like bt) this easily snaps.

you do not know its hstory, it may have bad joints some where.

i would suggest you get several quotes from an alarm company and leave that thing alone, as it will cost you lots to fix and give grief in return

We used to have an alarm system similar to this. It was removed in 1990. It was replaced with a scantronic system, which has too since been removed (about a year ago) I now have a brand spanking new Texecom Premier system. It allows me to arm / disarm the house, shop, garage and sheds independantly (kind of like having 5 alarm systems) It also sends text messages to me if the alarm is activated!

Fair do's....

My thought was that if it covered certain parts of the house to a reasonable level, then I could add a new system to supplement it. If I was wise, I could leave the new system expandable so that in time I could get rid of the old one completely....like when woodworm finally have the window frames!

Guess I'll just have to start saving for a new system.....

Sorry for the slight hi-jack ;) ,
RF Lighting, does the Texecom premier alarm dial out from a fixed landline or can it take a sim card (for mobile network)?

RF Lighting said:
We used to have an alarm system similar to this. It was removed in 1990. It was replaced with a scantronic system, which has too since been removed (about a year ago) I now have a brand spanking new Texecom Premier system. It allows me to arm / disarm the house, shop, garage and sheds independantly (kind of like having 5 alarm systems) It also sends text messages to me if the alarm is activated!

I certainly would not remove a scantronic and replace it with a texecom.
Call me old fashioned but that`s reverse engineering I`m afraid

If I remember correctly RS did some security equipment by respected manufacturers this might be A Munford & White (Later Tunstall I think) which was prety good at the time, but technology moves on and I would certainly replace it (and the whole system ) sorry but that`s a mature Electrical Contractor/ Alarm Installer giving the advice He`d give his best mate.
I may get shot down but this is given in good faith

Spark123 said:
Sorry for the slight hi-jack ;) ,
RF Lighting, does the Texecom premier alarm dial out from a fixed landline or can it take a sim card (for mobile network)?

Depends on which modem you fit. It will do both.

ebee said:
I certainly would not remove a scantronic and replace it with a texecom.
Call me old fashioned but that`s reverse engineering I`m afraid

The scantronic was an 'expanded to the max' 10 zone panel with the biggest ugliest keypad I have ever seen.

What could a scantronic panel do that the texecom can't?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back