House Lights - Random Blinks.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
just wanting some thoughts on this topic. i'm getting some very random blinks from a couple of downstairs lights. i changed most of my bulbs to LED, and from browsing it seems they're a lot more susceptible to current fluctuations etc, there has been one incident when a normal filament dimmed for a second or two but aside from one genuine power cut to the area the only issue is the blinks. it's totally random, no pattern - can be days between them; the light will blink once usually, and that's it. i've read that neighbouring properties' usage can cause fluctuations etc and i'm thinking it might just be the incoming supply, what w/ the colder/darker nights prompting more lights/heaters etc. i've had the tv and other things on when a blink has happened, they don't seem to be affected. also, the blinks don't happen when i do stuff, switch the kettle on or of etc.

is it something i'm just going to have to live w/?
TIA

Sponsored Links
Hi,

LED bulbs don't normally blink, or flicker.
They usually have drive electronics built-in, that will smooth some variations from the incoming mains.

Although LED's can last for years, often the drive electronics prematurely fail; succumbing to heat damage.

It could be that your bulbs are getting old?

Alternatively, there may be issues with the connections in your switches or light fittings, and some LED's are incompatible with dimmers etc.

Personally, I would try some different lamps, from a different brand, and see if you have the same issues.

Good luck :)

They usually have drive electronics built-in, that will smooth some variations from the incoming mains.

They have to have integral drivers, you cannot put 230 Volt onto an LED element ( well you could but the result would be mildly explosive )

Some drivers do have adequate smoothing to cope with transient voltage events without there being a visual affect on the brightness of the LED element(s).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back