House Prices

£57,851.25 in 2020
Interesting when you compare house price to wages
in 1959 house £3,000, average wage £700 per year - so house = 4.3 years of wages

same house now £325,000, average wage £25,000 per year - so house = 13 years of wages.

This is what I have never understood.

We paid 142,500 for our gaffe in June 1999. The last sale date I can find for it was in Nov 1995 for 110K.

I have absolutely no idea what it would go for today, but smaller houses sold for 450+ last year.

The increase in value seems out of proportion. As Munroist points out, the number of years of wages required to buy that house today has tripled.

Sponsored Links
Lot better that the shoite they're throwing up these days. Decent sized garden too compared to today with just about enough space for a rotary line.
How true. When you compare many houses that were built between 30's - early 80's (including council) they more often than not leave today's houses in the shade for room size, garden size and reduced requirement for significant maintenance. What do we get now? Garages that are too small for 80% of cars on the market, tiny rooms, open plan front gardens to give the illusion of more space, detached but with a 2 metre gap between properties etc etc.

Lots of reasons it's gone stupid. Mass immigration with big rise in population and house building not keeping pace. Also lots of foreign investors allowed to buy with few controls in place.

How true. When you compare many houses that were built between 30's - early 80's (including council) they more often than not leave today's houses in the shade for room size, garden size and reduced requirement for significant maintenance. What do we get now? Garages that are too small for 80% of cars on the market, tiny rooms, open plan front gardens to give the illusion of more space, detached but with a 2 metre gap between properties etc etc.

Agree. New builds come with built-in depression. The dolls house proportions feel claustrophobic. I wouldn't touch anything built after mid 80s. I'm lucky that I have a house on an early 60s development. If it was being developed today, they would squeeze about a third more dwellings on the same acreage.

But a spacious house with good sized gardens doesn't mean that things still won't get tighter for space in the future. Some people in my area with larger gardens are now squeezing extra houses in. One big house at the end of the road was demolished and flats built on the site. Nearby they took down a billboard that had a fenced area around it and squeezed a pair of semis in. The front doors are straight onto the pavement and the back yards are approx 8 feet long. Just enough to get a wheely bin in.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Agree. New builds come with built-in depression. The dolls house proportions feel claustrophobic. I wouldn't touch anything built after mid 80s. I'm luck that I have a house on an early 60s development. If it was being developed today, they would squeeze about a third more dwellings on the same acreage.

But a spacious house with good sized gardens doesn't mean that things still won't get tighter for space in the future. Some people in my area with larger gardens are now squeezing extra houses in. One big house at the end of the road was demolished and flats built on the site. Nearby they took down a billboard that had a fenced area around it and squeezed a pair of semis in. The front doors are straight onto the pavement and the back yards are approx 8 feet long. Just enough to get a wheely bin in.

Can you tell me what percentage of the land do we live on.

Crazy good or crazy bad for UK?

Bad if you for first time buyers. Good if you believe that money is the only thing that matters.

We need more people like a hole in the head, but if it means we get more industrious Hong Kongers and fewer useless members of The Religion Of Peace then it's not all bad.

if it means we get more industrious Hong Kongers and fewer useless members of The Religion Of Peace then it's not all bad.
Wow.
Stereotyping or what?
I know a few people who were born and raised in HK who are extremely lazy.
Conversely, there are many Muslims, some I know personally who work all hours and pay their way in taxes and frankly deserve their hard-earned wealth.
You just can't say cr@p like that. At least not without being called out for it.

Wow.
Stereotyping or what?
I know a few people who were born and raised in HK who are extremely lazy.
Conversely, there are many Muslims, some I know personally who work all hours and pay their way in taxes and frankly deserve their hard-earned wealth.
You just can't say cr@p like that. At least not without being called out for it.

Jeez! Calm down dear. Good lad for wading in though and showcasing your pc credentials. (y) Gold star for you.

I realise there will always be exceptions, but I'm talking as a whole. As a whole, China is the number one economic powerhouse because the Chinese inhabit that piece of land. If they were to relocate to Pakistan or North Africa en masse, then those areas would be the number one economic powerhouse instead. Also, it's a fact that members of one certain religion are causing more problems in Europe than any other people from different religions who have migrated. Or don't you read papers and watch the news. Stereotypes are not for nothing.

I agree stereotypes are very useful for feeding disinformation to the bigoted, gullible & lazy

Sponsored Links
Back