House that Jack built

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My girlfriend and I moved into our first house in October 2015. When we bought it, we knew it would need some work doing.

After starting work, we soon realised it's certainly the house that Jack built.

Allow me to show you some examples:

Is this how your supposed to join two studded walls at 90 degrees?!

Hmm, that joist looks a little low... Turns out someone's removed the blocks in the dwarf wall to fit the plumbing. The joist was being held up by the studded wall and floor boards. Whilst we're talking about plumbing, those pipes are lagged really well aren't they?!

Genuine question, aren't you supposed to tie the blocks in when filling in a door?!

Those lintels aren't level:

Needless to say, we're trying to fix all the issues and improve upon everything at the same time. I'm sure you'll see some more novel building methods in the future.

Sponsored Links
I hope you have an electrical\stud finder for the electrics too as I shudder to think how that is.

I hope you have an electrical\stud finder for the electrics too as I shudder to think how that is.

Thankfully, although still requiring work. It's not too bad.

The wiring for the sockets comes from under the floor and the lighting wiring comes from the loft (we live in a bungalow).

All the runs for the sockets have been done below the joists, "as the crow flies" with no method of fixing apart from the terminals in the socket!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back