Houses subdivided into several self-contained dwellings but no separated utilities?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have three houses nearby, all belonging to the same freeholder, who had subdivided them into several self-contained flats, and the freeholder/landlord is renting them all out.

He rents them out as 'all inclusive'.

As far as I can see, there is only a single flue appearing from each house, which leads me to believe, a single boiler is serving all the self-contained flats in the house.

Furthermore, there is only a single water mains outside each house, having checked the water main personally, I can see there is no meter fitted (though this could be inside I guess?).

I couldn't comment on the electrics.

By the way, I know at least one of them was developed with refused building regs/planning permission (more than 4 years ago though).

Is there something sinister going on here, or is this practice legitimate? If not, who would be the relevant authorities this could be reported to? Council's Building Regs or utility providers? Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
council tax / revenue department will be interested as would planning.

each property should be paying council tax instead of one.

thanks. From an online check performed, all these dwellings are registered as individual council tax flats, so I am assuming appropriate council taxes are being paid.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back