Houses turned white

Further question. If this is caused by high salt content within the bricks, which I assume is due to the manufacturing process or the sourcing of the materials used, surely there is some form of quality control that can reduce said salt content....

Sponsored Links
there are minerals in the sand. There are solubles in the cement. There is lime in the water. The bricks are very unlikely to be a major factor.

The bricks are very unlikely to be a major factor.

Are you sure? those bricks look pretty white to me.

You seem to be confusing this with lime staining, or just dont know the difference?

Sponsored Links
Further question. If this is caused by high salt content within the bricks, which I assume is due to the manufacturing process or the sourcing of the materials used, surely there is some form of quality control that can reduce said salt content....

It's officially a phenomenon. Although clays are selected on their soluable salt content, there are several factors which can cause or aggravate the salt to make it appear on the face of the wall. So the same brick with the same salts could effloresce or not depending on things such as how it was stored, how it was laid and how it is exposed. The mortar can also play a part.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back