Houses turned white

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
They have built some houses opposite me and the last few days they have turned white, is that something to do with the mortar mix?

I've seen similar before but never that dramatic

IMG_6625.JPG

Sponsored Links
Efflorescence. Happens as wet brickwork dries out and dissolved mineral salts crystallise on the surface.

I've seen it on a recently built garden wall in the last week, very pronounced.

It might be the dry, cold sunny weather after a very wet spell.

It will weather away in time. It's not a defect.

Sponsored Links
I live in a hard-water area and efflorescence is the norm. It weathers away in time. But this past week or so I have noticed a few cases where there has been a sudden and unusually heavy bloom. My guess is that it has been exacerbated by weather. Lots of rain followed by a very dry, cold, sunny spell.

Like Ian says, "dramatic"

People who live in areas where this hasn't happened may choose to disbelieve it.

Are you anything like me Ian and watched every stage of that build, I work next to a new wimpey development that’s gone up in the last couple of years and I swear I got half the knowledge for my extension by trying to take in as much detail as I could every time I walked past .. and got the other half from this forum lol (yes I’m a building geek)

Those houses have sold signs on them. If that’s just happened in the last few days, the purchaser is going to get a shock! My parents had a garden wall built that did that. Took about 2 years to go. My old man brushed it with a yard broom every month. Still came back.

Looks rather Christmasy to me

It looks as though the sheltered areas of brick (directly beneath the barge soffit etc) are not yet efflorescing.
I wonder if it is either because those bricks are shaded from the sun so they have not fully dried out or that they have been protected from the rain and haven't been soaked.

And yes, I did notice that the window headers are recon' stone.

The people moved in just before Christmas, I'm not sure why they still have the signs up.

Yes, the sheltered bits are unaffected and I'm sure they were nothing like that on Friday.

Same thing happened this morning to the houses across the road, seems to have only affected the roof tiles though. These ones have been up a fair while, maybe 90 years, although most have had aa reroof. Any ideas?
15196328067533901533429991936355.jpg

This is our front garden wall right now. Built around 2005. I’m still waiting for the bloom to disappear!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back