How a combi boiler works?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm a qualified electrician which I rewire houses, wire y plan and combi boilers. I'm looking for information how a combi works. I have been on YouTube and looked at videos but don't give me enough information. I know that when you turn the hot water tap on, it gets water from supply from outside and it goes through the heat exchanger and goes out to hot water taps.
With the radiators it pumps water around the radiators to another heat exchanger.
That's all I understand, can anyone give me a simple video/website etc how how a boiler actually works please.

Sponsored Links
Just read the forums for a while. The best RGIs are sparkies first.

why dont you just tell him joe?by the way joe,how does a HEX work?AND how does the latent heat come into it?

Sponsored Links
Andy2K7 sadly you will have noticed that whenever Joe90 is involved in a post then you will never get the answer you were hoping for so I will do my best to advise you, A combi boiler heats the DHW instantly as the cold water passes through the boiler so it will not heat the radiators at the same time as the water is running but most users never notice as even running a bath takes 20-30 mins and the radiators dont cool that much in this time, combis usually have a very high heat engine compared to stored water boilers as they have to heat water instantly but the output to heating can usually be set by the PCB to reduce the amount of gas being used when heating to rads is required, as a spark all you need to really know is that the boilers heating controls are a programmer and or a room thermostat possibly weather compensation controls if a newer boiler and as long as the boiler has a permanent live then the HW will control itself

There's a regular pattern on here. Post starts. Jo-90 talks ****e. Post dies.
He's like a forum "dose".

andy2k7>>>>>> They say a picture paints a thousand words. On this link is a very good, clear diagram of the layout inside a typical combi. Just shout if there's anything you want clarifying.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=938249[/QUOTE]

And what if it is a Bi-thermal heat exchanger combi ?

Well..........................it's innards won't look anything like the diagram in my link.

Doh! :rolleyes:

Sorry whitespirt wasnt being a twot I just tried my best to give the OP an oversight into how a combi works yes there are a few variations but the basic principle is always the same and I guessed that as a spark he was looking more into the control side of a combi

andy2k7>>>>>> They say a picture paints a thousand words. On this link is a very good, clear diagram of the layout inside a typical combi. Just shout if there's anything you want clarifying.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=938249[/QUOTE]

And what if it is a Bi-thermal heat exchanger combi ?

Well..........................it's innards won't look anything like the diagram in my link.

Doh! :rolleyes:

Sorry whitespirt wasnt being a twot I just tried my best to give the OP an oversight into how a combi works yes there are a few variations but the basic principle is always the same and I guessed that as a spark he was looking more into the control side of a combi

No worries. The diagram doesn't really tell him how a combi works, but helps to visualise the layout and components involved.

Couldn't really find a good diagram for the bi, but there's a basic one on this PDF.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...yIC4Cw&usg=AFQjCNElT5ekZVQGK1rO0AuIxe-MEcT71w

I was thinking that he wants to branch out into combi boiler repairs!

Getting Gas Safe registered would be a good starting point!

Tony

I'm sure he does at £90 per half hour.

A boiler is an electro-mechanical device so a spark is the ideal candidate to train up.

A plumber with no electrical knowledge isn't a good choice.

An experienced heating engineer, with no electrical training, wouldn't need to learn much.
A sparkie at a boiler, would have no idea what wet system it might be connected to and how that might behave. Nor would he know anything of the subtleties of the combustion side.
The electrical aspect is pretty easy, and only covers the simplest faults.

If you read these forums for a week you realise that most RGIs don't either.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back