How are location maps updated with accurate building structures?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Using these online mapping software, I notice that my PD outbuilding is correctly positioned on these ordnance survey maps despite me not lodging any application etc. Even the angle is shockingly correct and accurate.

How is this achieved?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yes that is what I thought, but who the heck is minded to look at every property in the land to see if there is a marginal change in the property and also if the side of an 5x3m outbuilding is slightly skewed along the boundary wall? That's nuts.

It's done by ordinance survey.
They have a small fleet of aircraft that used to photograph every inch of the uk on fil but it's probably more digital now.

Again, these days I assume that it's largely automated and comparisons are made with existing imagery
Even if the computer just flags up new discrepancies

Sponsored Links
In most areas it's not from aerials.

OS get automatic updates on new planning consents from the LAs, and add them to the list.

Usually someone drives out with a mapping pole and a differential GPS, generally gets 2cm accuracy horizontal and 3cm vertical.

In most areas it's not from aerials.

OS get automatic updates on new planning consents from the LAs, and add them to the list.

Sorry, I disagree. The OS map shows my hut, garage and workshop - there was no planning application for them, no one has been on my land measuring. The only source aerial photos.

Every now and again you might see or hear a small light aircraft flying back and forth overhead. And now you know what it's doing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back