How best to deal with this

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m on a with a renovation project, a complete house, so there’s a lot for me to get through. In the hallway I’ve stripped the paper and found that the last guy appears to have scored the wall in diamond patterns (presumably to strip the paper last time) they’ve made a bit of a mess of the plaster to be honest, so I’m wondering what is the easiest most cost effective way of sorting it out. Ideally I’d prefer not to skim the wall because of the expense, however if it looks like I would have to fill then still lining paper I may as well skim.

I guess the question is, can filling this and then sanding work, or is the finish not going to be up to scratch? And if I do fill what would be the best product for this type of plaster defects, large areas with shallow grooves.

thanks

Attachments

• 3CC9A1BE-7EED-4A0B-B3B9-9031893C09EE.jpeg
    3CC9A1BE-7EED-4A0B-B3B9-9031893C09EE.jpeg
    202.7 KB · Views: 211
Sponsored Links
Wow, that is a bit of a mess. It can be sanded and filled and then lightly sanded but it will probably still need lining paper.

Unless you have access to a decent random orbital sander and dust extractor, it may be cheaper to have it skimmed.

If you do decide against plastering, a soft filler such as Easifill shall be fine and then sand it back with 150 grit sanding sheets. The existing paint on the walls is harder than the filler. That means that the grit on the sand paper will case the filler to cup very slightly. Lining paper will hide that but it might be obvious if you didn't line the walls.

Personally, unless walls have been skimmed by an exceptionally good plasterer I line new plaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back