How best to place tiles to make a small room seem optically bigger than it really is

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm tiling a small toilet room just under 2 metres long and 1 metre wide with 60cm x30cm tiles in a running/brick bond pattern with possibly with a 33% offset (prefer 50% offset tbh). I can get two full length tiles on the wall but the third tile will have to be cut down by a third, my question is should I place these cut tiles towards the entrance of the room or towards the far corner, visually I'm trying to create the illusion of the room being longer than it actually is but I just cant seem to make my mind up as to which one achieves this best. I'm minded to place the cut tiles towards the corner but before I do it I thought I'd ask you guys for some input.

My second question is about slightly sloping ceiling and flooring. My understanding is to get around this you have to have cut the tiles on the first row and top row and have full width tiles in the middle, for these two cut rows is it best to keep them the same size say about 15cm or is it best to have one larger than the other. A mate of mine told me its best to try and have smaller off cuts on the bottom row as the eye is drawn more to that than the top row just before the ceiling. Any advice much appreciated guys.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back