How best to tile around fire place between floor boards?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to put some tiles on the photographed concrete. I presume that tiles once existed there. What's the best way to level out the floor as there are some divots in what's there currently? Then what's involved next, putting down some levelling material and then some adhesive for the tiles?

View media item 74045 View media item 74044

Sponsored Links
Thats a concrete front hearth, and if the surface isn't too loose then you could go right on top of what you have. No preparation required beyond removing any bits or dust.

You simply sqeeze, with the flat of your trowel, a skim of adhesive to the hearth. Then apply adhesive with say, a 6mm x 6mm adhesive trowel.

But first you must work out your lay-out so the field of tile, and some kind of border, work out balanced and even. Draw a centre line and work from that - use lines, dont guess.

You already have some quarter round trim tile in the fire opening.

Thats a concrete front hearth, and if the surface isn't too loose then you could go right on top of what you have. No preparation required beyond removing any bits or dust.

You simply sqeeze, with the flat of your trowel, a skim of adhesive to the hearth. Then apply adhesive with say, a 6mm x 6mm adhesive trowel.

But first you must work out your lay-out so the field of tile, and some kind of border, work out balanced and even. Draw a centre line and work from that - use lines, dont guess.

You already have some quarter round trim tile in the fire opening.

Many thanks. I'll get cracking with this shortly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back