How can I board insulated loft?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My loft is covered with 1 roll thickness of insulaton, I can now use boards as stepping stones as my balance isn't good.
I want to add another roll thickness but still be able to use boards to move around safely once every few years to check the condition as it's an old house.

Should I just squash the insulation with boards, it seems like this would affect how well the insulation works.

Sponsored Links
If you don't wish to board the entire loft for storage, but just wish to have boarded walkways for inspection; you could use a suitably thick PIR insulation board for the walkways and cheaper roll insulation for elsewhere?

If your boards are not secured I would advise you to screw them down even if you are just using them as a walkway. They could slip off the joists and go through the ceiling possibly resulting in injury to yourself and serios damage to the ceiling. I used loft legs to raise the height of my walkway or raise the height using 2x3 blocks screwed to the joists and then the boards screwed to the blocks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back