How Can I Check If I A Lintel Above The Window? (Updated Pics 20/11/15)

Are there any cracks or bumps inside the kitchen wall? What about the ceiling? Why not check all your external frames for cracks or lintels?

The previous w/frame was timber with a PVC insert.

The IG L10 is a good suggestion but i think it would hit the full bricks above the ripped bricks. A customised angel iron would work but would need messing about. The fly in the ointment would be the central bricks.

I'm suspicious of the Pergola ledger being fixed directly above the window head: it seems to be very low - whats the brickwork like behind it?
But, then again, i'm suspicious of most anything folks do before selling a house.

The thing is with the sound advice to fix and forget - is when the next surveyor comes along and doesn't miss the lack of lintels?

Your call OP?

Hi, The Catnic lintel I bought had no chance of going in at all! All the interior walls and ceilings are fine and there is a solid concrete lintel inside. To put some sort of lintel in there now would mean disturbing that double brick row and its been there for 40 years and seems to have worked. For some reason they went to the effort of doubling up those bricks but I dont know why. The first row closest to the inside do sit on the concrete lintel and the outer second row I guess are somehow tied to them. The Pergola was put up by me and it was all good behind it with no cracking anywhere. Spoke to the neighbours and they havent had lintels added and we have exactly the same house by the same builders. Thank you for helping.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back