How can I find where the power lines are under my garden?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to redo my overgrown garden and put in a new path, patio and some lighting. It will involve a mini digger as it needs some leveling and digging.

I currently have an old garage at the end of my garden that has power going to it. Is there any instrument that could find where the power lines go across the garden so I don't accidentally dig them up?

It might also save me some money if I can tap into the existing power line for my garden lights.

Sponsored Links
Not reliably. The best way is to find either end of the cable by hand, and then extrapolate the route from that, allowing for a bit of deviation from straight (maybe dig a hole in between the two points to confirm)

It should be reasonably deep, so I guess it depends how deep you are planning on digging?

As to whether the existing cable is suitable to take a lighting feed from depends on the current set up. but it's unlikely to be of much use to you

Sponsored Links
If a mini digger will be used, you should hire the scan tool anyway, as there may be other things concealed underground. While gas, water and electricity supplies should be buried at a certain depth, there is no guarantee of that.

Do not under any circumstances just hire a CAT (cable avoidance tool), you must also hire a matching signal Generator (GENNY).
And get some training on how to use it
The CAT will only positively locate cables that are live & are carrying a reasonable bit of load (usually in the 20 - 30A range as a minimum).
Research also where your supply cable (talk to your DNO), BT line and the like are

Ah OK. Sounds like it isn't as easy as I thought.

I think I'd be better off just killing the power while I work and trying to avoid the area where i think the cable is.

I'm generally adding earth rather than removing so hopefully it will be OK.

You can kill your local power, but if as Westie says, the supply cable comes through your garden, you can't turn that off.

The DNO should have records though, as should BT, VM etc. A quick call (or 5) should be enough to get the answers

The DNO should have records though,

Gas man digging a trench near here yesterday knew there were LV ( 230 V ) and HV ( 11 kV ) cables under the grass verge, about 18 inches apart according to the charts. He found them side by side along with a third cable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back