How can I heat my wetroom without eletrocuting myself?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Merry Christmas Everyone! :D

I'm in the proccess of adding a wetroom to our house. The wet end of the room is finished. But I have yet to finish the dryer end with the sink, wc in it.

I've got a floating WC and I'm a bit scared about fixing it to the wall, but that's a whole other topic!

I was wondering what sort of heating could be fitted into a wetroom? I understand that underfloor heating is ideal, but not a possibility in our case so any other ideas welcome.

The room is approx 10m2, floor space of 5m2, approx 3m2 of shower space, and 2m2 of floor space. We have no central heating, so something electric would be ideal, slow release so it could be left on all winter!

In addition the room is cold, stone walls with two of them N & NW facing .... brrrrrr :rolleyes: I think I better insulate these walls and plasterboard them also.

SO ... any ideas about safe heating GREATLY appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

Marmotte :D

Sponsored Links
you can get electric underfloor heating or an electric towel rail/radiator.

you can get electric underfloor heating or an electric towel rail/radiator.

Hi - can't install underfloor heating - not a possibility. Would an electric towel rail heater be safe in a wet room? (there is no screen for the shower, so it risks to have water spray).

In the small area which is not the shower, I have teh entrance door taking up one wall, the WC on the oppossing wall and a sink unit on the third wall. So not much, if any space for a towel rail unfortunately.

I hope you have allowed for a good extractor fan

Sponsored Links
If your in the process of adding a wet room, then why have you left it so late to think about the heating.

What form of heating do you have in the rest of the property. It seems electric is going to be your easiest option, you may well be better off asking in the sparks forum for zones in which electric rads can go.

.. I think raidator would be the wise option, anything electrical would need to be switched from the outside or through pull switches and have ip44 rating I believe. If the property is in france I would chck local building regulations as well as whatever you do, IF its outside of the regs you may encounter probs with potential buyers etc.. good luck

I hope you have allowed for a good extractor fan

Hi John D, I have installed one that appears through a light just above the main shower head, its installed in the roof above, apparently more than powerful enough - proof will be in the pudding ...

If your in the process of adding a wet room, then why have you left it so late to think about the heating.

- we had originally planned an electric towel rail on the wall just left of the entrance door which would be 20% above the shower tray, even though 1m20 away from the shower, this now makes me nervous. More so than before ... so I am exploring other options.

What form of heating do you have in the rest of the property. It seems electric is going to be your easiest option, you may well be better off asking in the sparks forum for zones in which electric rads can go.

One wood burner which heats the sitting room, stairs and upstairs landing. Dining room & kitchen, one electric radiater with iron core, slow release. Likewise in two bedrooms. We have a small adjoining bathroom to our bedroom which has an electric towel rail and a radiant heat wall mounted "click-clack" heater, IP zone OK for bathrooms. Maybe one of these could be the soloution. Will check the other forum thanks for the help.

.. I think raidator would be the wise option, anything electrical would need to be switched from the outside or through pull switches and have ip44 rating I believe. If the property is in france I would chck local building regulations as well as whatever you do, IF its outside of the regs you may encounter probs with potential buyers etc.. good luck

Many thanks kitesurfer, I will check the building regs. We do plan to stay here for as long as poss, but you never know in life ... it has a habit of surprising you when you least expect!

...interesting stuff. I'm nearing completion of my small garage conversion, still have the wc/shower area to tile. I've completed most of the plumbing (see my album)
On the extraction note it sounds like you have an 'in line' centrifugal fan, these are the best in my opinion (i'm only a diyer). You may want to ponder about air in to the room, as its my undertanding in order to 'suck it out' of the room you also need air coming in to the room. And it you have in line fan installed by someone, make sure they installed a drain pipe to catch any condenstation coming back down the extraction pipe...good luck.
KS

as your in France you'll probably know that the elctric regs over there vary considerably from over here.

Cant remember at the mo what they are over there for shower rooms but will ask the bro-in-law tomorrow (electrician in Limoges).

...interesting stuff. I'm nearing completion of my small garage conversion, still have the wc/shower area to tile. I've completed most of the plumbing (see my album)
On the extraction note it sounds like you have an 'in line' centrifugal fan, these are the best in my opinion (i'm only a diyer). You may want to ponder about air in to the room, as its my undertanding in order to 'suck it out' of the room you also need air coming in to the room. And it you have in line fan installed by someone, make sure they installed a drain pipe to catch any condenstation coming back down the extraction pipe...good luck.
KS

Great tips! Thanks.
: )

as your in France you'll probably know that the elctric regs over there vary considerably from over here.

Cant remember at the mo what they are over there for shower rooms but will ask the bro-in-law tomorrow (electrician in Limoges).

Oh - that would be very helpful - many thanks indeed! :p

Hi sorry for the delay,

Same rules as per Uk with regards zones and IP ratings.

Towell rad circuit to be dedicated radial sized as per heater element flex.

No switch fused spures etc used just straight connections.

Bathroom must also have socket outlet(local regulations)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back