How can I improve the finish on this piece of wood using Danish Oil?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The lighter area is where the sun comes in from a window to the right. It’s had about seven or eight coats now, and I still can’t get a uniform finish. Is there anything I can do with Danish Oil to achieve that? At the minute, I’m just applying the oil, letting it soak and buffing it.

Attachments

• IMG_8736.jpeg
    IMG_8736.jpeg
    359.9 KB · Views: 76
Sponsored Links
You need to use something that is specifically coloured if you want to fix the colour. IME Danish oil won't give you a uniform colour if it wasn't uniform to start with.
I like the lustrous finish of that banister. You can barely tell it's faded in that picture, it just looks "illuminated from the right" rather than "faded on the right". Maybe it's more noticeable in real life.

As above, the danish oil will do nothing to mask the faded colour.

The only way to restore the original colour is to sand the whole rail back. That is gonna be a pig given the amounts of danish oil. You would need to wait a few weeks for the Danish to harden sufficiently. You can use methyl chloride paint stripper but it can only be purchased in minimum quantities of 5L (and technically only sold to trade). It makes the danish oil bubble up in minutes. BTW, MC paint strippers are considered to be harmful to health.

https://www.frenchpolishes.com/acatalog/Paint___Varnish_Removers.html

You can purchase films for the window that claim to block 99% of UV light

I have never used them though.

I already sanded it. I took the finish off completely (or at least I thought I did), with a sander using 80 grit paper (then 220 grit). Then I started with the coats of danish oil.

Sponsored Links
Do you know what it was coated with originally?

If it was oil based varnish, if you don't sand all of the varnish off, the edges turn lighter when you apply something over it. Something similar, but to a lesser degree happens with danish oil.

I have a customer that has mahogany windows, they become yellow (exterior) after a few years and I have to sand away the oil and remove 0.5mm(?) of the timber to restore the original colour.

You could add spirit based wood dye to danish oil .( oil dilutes the wood dye colour )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back