How can I program my storage heater timer? Pictures inside.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay, I don't think I'm far off, but I'm thrown by something. When I turn the hands(to set the current time I'm guessing?) the whole wheel turns, so for example 12 o clock moves round on the dial as I turn the hands. I don't know the reason for this but I can see there's an arrow at the top (see screenshot) and I don't know what the arrow is supposed to signify? It's not the current time, so what is it? Pictures taken at nearly 10pm, so current time I think is set correctly. I want the heater to turn on at around 4pm as shown in the pic, and also at 6am until 9am (though I may get rid of this). It's a Hager unit.

Any tips greatly appreciated! I hope the pictures help. See below.
http://imgur.com/a/dxmGp

Sponsored Links
I don't know what the arrow is supposed to signify?
The time.

It's not the current time, so what is it?
I don't follow -
If you don't set it to the current time it won't be, will it?

The arrow is pointing to 3 am. and the hands could be 7 minutes past 3 (although the hour hand is a bit low - can you physically move the hour hand up a bit?)

Pictures taken at nearly 10pm, so current time I think is set correctly.
What do you mean it is 10 pm. and it is set correctly - it is 3 am.

Set the pointer to 12 and squeeze the hands together.

I want the heater to turn on at around 4pm and also at 6am until 9am as shown in the pic,
If 'on' is the pins out then it would if the time was correct.

(though I may get rid of this).
You are perfectly entitled to do that.

It's a Hager unit.
Likely very good, then.

I don't know what the arrow is supposed to signify?
The time.

It's not the current time, so what is it?
I don't follow -
If you don't set it to the current time it won't be, will it?

The arrow is pointing to 3 am. and the hands could be 7 minutes past 3 (although the hour hand is a bit low - can you physically move the hour hand up a bit?)

Pictures taken at nearly 10pm, so current time I think is set correctly.
What do you mean it is 10 pm. and it is set correctly - it is 3 am.

Set the pointer to 12 and squeeze the hands together.

I want the heater to turn on at around 4pm and also at 6am until 9am as shown in the pic,
If 'on' is the pins out then it would if the time was correct.

(though I may get rid of this).
You are perfectly entitled to do that.

It's a Hager unit.
Likely very good, then.
The hands (what would look like an hour hand and a minute hand) move together, so as you turn the minute hand, the hour hand moves in its slower cycle, like a normal clock would. That's why I said about the arrow and assuming it didn't mean the current time, because I thought the small and big hands were showing the time.

So my issue now is, what do the hands mean? Like I mentioned, the hands move like clock hands. So you can't move the hour hand manually, just the minutes and the small/hour hand moves with it, but in its own slower rotation.

Sponsored Links
Well. unless it IS faulty the numbered disc should move round half as fast as the hour hand and so show the 24 hour clock pointed at by the arrow.

I still don't understand how anything in your picture relates to 10 pm. but you seemed to think it did.

what happens if you move the hands anti clockwise?
Ah they move separately it seems. Though the backface clock did turn a bit.

http://imgur.com/iTN4idb

I think that's set maybe right? I still don't get what the small hand is doing. Is it that you can tell the time by both the hour hand and also the arrow pointing at the dial? I don't really get it.

It has to have something which only goes round once a day to work the timer (otherwise it would come on twice a day at the same time).

The hands are just an easier to see addition.

Okay, so I had some weird issue whereby the clock seemed to stop or slow down (I can't work out which) and after setting the time, a day later it would be 6 hours slow or such.

It looks like somehow this is fixed, but I'm a bit confused. When the little bits of plastic are pulled out that means the heaters in my room will turn on. Is that correct? They don't feel as if they've turned off when I check them outside of the allocated hours I've set.. The switch is set to auto, just in case anyone asks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back