how can i protect an outside gas pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just had a new boiler put in and as part f the job a new gas pipe has been run down the side of my house and round a corner and along the back.

the pipe is about knee height and particularly at the corner i am worried that it is a bit vulnerable to beinghit and broken.

can anyone suggest what i can do to protect/hide the gas pipe?

cheers

pete

Sponsored Links
it shouldnt have been put in like this you are not supposed to install a gas pipe where it is prone to being damaged,should have been run high level.

Is the side of your house just used for pedestrian access or do you use it as access for a car to a garage? If it's just pedestrian access then I would leave it as it is, with it being new now it will stand out like a sore thumb ,but leave it for a few months to oxidize & you wont even notice it.
However if a car uses it then I would move it higher out of harms way.

there isnt a rule that states the minimum height of an external gas run.
i believe its one of them left to the GI to dictate.

what in particular do you feel is going to 'hit and break' the gas pipe.

Sponsored Links
rob884 said:
what in particular do you feel is going to 'hit and break' the gas pipe.

i tend to stick bikes/ladders/general junk down the side of the house and it's a gap at the corner thats only one person width...

thats why i'm worried about hitting it and breaking it

surely there must be something i can by to give it more protection?

22mm or 28 mm copper tube is pretty strong. Whilst you can dent it with a hammer its VERY difficult to make a hole in it unless you used a very sharp chisel and hammer.

In any case a gas leak outdoors will safely disperse in the atmosphere. In the most unlikely event of anyone igniting it it would not explode but just burn off.

There are probably about a million houses in the UK with external gas pipes and I have never heard of any problem with one.

Tony

It seems like over kill to me.

Its very strong as stated above and most unlikely to ever get damaged.

But a cheap peace of mind is to add pipe insulation around it as its so cheap.

It will give padding and be more noticeable to anyone near it.

Tony

i would of ran it higher. if not shorten the clip spacing or if worse can to the worse ran it in steel (LCS)

all the above means adjusting the gas run which i dont recommened.

all i would say is make a boxing round it

If it helps anyone, I have had a gas pipe around my house (6" high) in the side alley for the last 25 years and have never managed to damage it.

:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back