Gas pipe from new meter..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New gas pipe from the new meter to be repositioned in our garage, is under the stairs at the moment So, is there a plastic pipe that can slip over the new copper just to give it a bit more protection. The jobs planed for Friday, sorry bit last min to ask.
Was thinking of overflow pipe but any other ideas welcomed.
Pete

Sponsored Links
Pipes have to be sleeved through walls, it's in the regs. Your GSR engineer will do this for you

Thanks muggles, the pipe I would like to protect is my side of the meter, as it runs along the wall of the inside garage.
Sorry, I didn't make that clear at all in my first post!

Sponsored Links
Regardless of which side of the meter, all gas pipe should only be installed by a gas registered engineer.

Tony

Ok. Thanks. We are having a new gas main fitted buy Southern Gas. New gas main to replace old, not just us but all the street. So Southern say, can't pull new pipe through old. Will have to reposition a new meter and run new pipe from new meter. I thinking, now I is a good time to think about some extra protection for the new copper pipe that will be run inside our garage. I'm talking about my side of the new meter, just some extra protection to sleeve it.

The main reasons to protect any sort of service, be it gas, electric, water etc would be if that service specifically required mechanical protection because of the use of it's surroundings, or because of risk of theft, or because it would be hidden in plaster etc in a wall.

Unless you're using a nail gun frequently in your garage, I would not think there is anything to worry too much about with respect to your garage location, unless you're doing something else in there you've not told us? In which case I think the meter installer should also know about it.

As a new pipe in a new run from the gas meter to where it will go back through the wall to pick up the old gas supply that's under our stairs. I just think it's worth putting some extra protection around it such as plastic pipe.
Must be 3m of gas pipe to run along the inside of the garage and don't like the idea of it getting a knock. Would be just my luck to drop or have something hit it.
Just so I'm clear to you all about this, I'm not doing anything myself. All work is undertaken by Southern Gas. I'm just asking about extra protection on my side of this new meter. I would supply the plastic pipe to fit over the new copper gas pipe. Has anyone done this?
Pete

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back