Gas pipe for new WB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a new 28i WB installed and they put a new 22mm pipe from the gas meter up the wall under the floor boards then to the airing cuboard where the boiler is. the pipe from the meter goes upto the ceiling then under the floor boards. I was just going to box that bit of the pipe in but i wasn't sure if it needs a protective sleeve or anything roundd it? All the joints have been sealed by what looks like solder

Thanks

Sponsored Links
In theory it needs a boxing large enough to allow gas to circulate around the pipe and ventilation at the top and bottom and fire stopping at every floor. It becomes a gas pipe in a vertical duct.

Not many people bother though!

Tony

Tony said:
In theory it needs a boxing large enough to allow gas to circulate around the pipe and ventilation at the top and bottom
Not so, according to the Good (Corgi) Book. A duct need only have enough cross-sectional area to accommodate the pipe, and if that area is less than 0.01 m² (e.g. 100mm x 100mm or less) it does not require any ventilation. Fire stopping is only required where ducts are running between flats or maisonettes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back