How can I stop damp coming through wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a patch of around 1x 2 feet of flakng paint at the side of an old disused chimney breast.

I am wondering what's the easiest way to patch it up?

I have some mapei shower paint on membrane, I wondered about hacking that part of plaster and painting the membrane on the bricks before re plastering?

Alternatively fixing a new piece of plasterboard over the whole side of the chimney?
I don't want any damp to soak through dot and dab fixing though.

Any ideas please?

Sponsored Links
Whats on the other side of the chimney? Pics would be nice - Inside and from outside.

Sponsored Links
I have tried several times over the years to work that out, as it's just a patch of around 2 feet wide by 1 foot down, 2/3 up the wall, short of dismantling that part of the fireplace I don't know what to do.

When I last looked into it, it sounded like there's a possibility of old soot remnants in there that have salts that could be causing it?

Maybe I should remove a brick where the problem is and try to clean ?

post some photos first

remove a bricj and look inside. there may be a heap of damp builders rubble. water may be soaking up from the hearth (hearths have no dpm)

removing a brick will also increase ventilation. Are both flues vented top AND bottom?

Thanks, sorry does both flues refer to 2 fireplaces in a 2 storey house?
It's 3 storey so tbh I'm.not sure how the flues work.
I tried drilling into the 1st floor bricked up fireplace fireplace but didn't get any draw from air coming in.

Screenshot_20240312-001602_Chrome.jpg

There are other areas eg on the other side of the room where I also get bubbling paint, particularly on corners of walls which I assume is the metal angle in the plaster, no black mould on the paint though.

Stand back and take a wider pic of the entire wall. Include something to show scale.

Is this on the ground floor?

There will be a flue for each fireplace in the stack (and each chimney pot)

post some photos first

remove a bricj and look inside. there may be a heap of damp builders rubble. water may be soaking up from the hearth (hearths have no dpm)

removing a brick will also increase ventilation. Are both flues vented top AND bottom?
Sorry my phone died when I was there so couldn't take a picture but I removed a section of plasterboard.
There was one brick removed already but I can feel another brick behind that.

Is there some way of doing a dpc on the fireplace and possibly rest of the place eg with the rods?

Would I then just replace the bottom section of plasterboard and dot and dab it?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back