How can I stop this valve? Please advise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am very new to home DIY and am not sure I know terminologies well but I am replacing my washing machine and need to disconnect my old machine. I will need to shut off the tap but have no idea how to work this valve. Can any one with experience please give any advice? Thank you!

Attachments

• 16063429330698832469037324884596.jpg
    16063429330698832469037324884596.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 178
Sponsored Links
The valve would normally have a blue plastic fitting that you could turn by hand.....its obviously missing but if you have an adjustable spanner to fit on the flats of the valve you should be able to turn it 90 degrees to the off position.
John :)

Thank you for the quick response, John. I used pliers to turn it clockwise. It seems to go over 90 degrees several times though and it doesn't seem to stop the water flowing. Is there a different mechanism to shutting the flow?

The valve will actually spin round and round, but if you can turn it exactly 90 degrees the water will stop.
A few degrees either side and the water will start to flow again.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Just turn it to the 90 degrees and it will be off, that is with the flats horizontal. It will go round and round, you just needed to turn it one quarter turn only.

A ball valve is only shut when you turn it exactly 90 degrees.

too far, or not far enough, and it will be open again.

Use the flats on your spindle as a guide.

ball-valve-section.png

look at 1:13

It's time you bought a new valve, but as you have plastic pipe I don't know which one you need.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back