How can I tell how much gas my boiler should use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had a new gas meter installed. My old meter was imperial and this is cubic. Even allowing for the 'multiply by 2.83 factor', my usage is now considerably higher than under the old imperial meter. Either my old meter must have been faulty - or maybe the new one.

I am trying to determine how much gas my Potterton 50eL should be using, by looking at the 'Technical Data' page of the manual. I've found

Output kW 14.65
Input kW max 18.02
Gas Rate m3/h max 1.68
Burner Pressure max 11.5
Injector Size mm 3.5

There is other data as well. Is it possible to calculate how many cubic units of gas I should be using say over 5 minutes at maximum? Any pointers greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
You cant tell how much it will use, there are to many unknowns.
You tell the maxium.

There are probably tables somewhere, saying if this if that it will use X

a lot depends on how many radiators you have, how big they are, what temperature you keep your house at, how many hours you heat it, how much you leave the doors and windows open, how many baths you have, what the temperature is outside.

I had a 15kW boiler last year, and have a 24 kW boiler this year, and my winter gas usage (all day heating) is much the same, it depends on the weather.

Cold days: 4.5 to 7.5 metres/day

Autumnal days: 2.5 to 3.5 metres/day

It was very cold here first 2 weeks of December

Unless you take weekly readings, and make a note of weather conditions, you will not get a good picture.

My annual usage varies a little, it is about 1400 to 1800 cu metres/year depending on coldness of the winter. I am hoping it will be less this year as my new boiler is supposed to be more efficient and I renewed my worn-out old TRVs. But I am also keeping the hall warmer, so who knows?

Edited: you were asking how much the meter should go round if you run the boiler flat out for 5 mins continuous? I bet someone will know, sorry, I don't

However, for my area, Conversion 1 unit on meter = 11.05kWh

so if your boiler is 18kW input, I suppose 1 hour continuous would be about 2 cu metres, so you could work out a per minute rate

Sponsored Links
Simple maths,
you say it burns Gas Rate m3/h max 1.68
You have a metric meter so 5 min is 1/12th on an hour do the calc and you have your answer if the gas pressure is correct.

Simple maths,
you say it burns Gas Rate m3/h max 1.68
You have a metric meter so 5 min is 1/12th on an hour do the calc and you have your answer if the gas pressure is correct.

Sorry for appearing thick here - I didn't realise the 'h' in "m3/h" meant hour. So with the boiler on full tilt (presumably central heating, but NOT heated water) for 5 minutes, the meter should record a usage of be around 0.14 (1.68/12).

Very helpful, thanks

I've just had a new gas meter installed. My old meter was imperial and this is cubic. Even allowing for the 'multiply by 2.83 factor', my usage is now considerably higher than under the old imperial meter. Either my old meter must have been faulty - or maybe the new one.
1. How long have you had your new meter?
2. How do you know your usage is higher - or does it just seem higher because the meter is going round faster?

I am trying to determine how much gas my Potterton 50eL should be using, by looking at the 'Technical Data' page of the manual. I've found

Gas Rate m3/h max 1.68
at that rate the boiler will use 0.14 cubic metres in 5 minutes. This will be shown on the red numbers and the dial if you have one.

Start - 1234567
Finish - 1234581

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back