How Can I Tell What Is Tripping My Circuit Breaker?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

New to the forum, my circuit breaker keeps tripping, but not sure on the cause? What is the best way to find out?

Any help would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Best way you can check is turn each mcb off on that side of the rcd and turn each one back on and see if it trips again.

Sponsored Links
What circuit does the MCB protect,
It would trip if there is a short circuit or if the circuit is overloaded ?

What circuit does the MCB protect,
It would trip if there is a short circuit or if the circuit is overloaded ?

How do I find out which circuit the MCB protects? Also, I have an incline that the circuit is overloaded.

How do I find out which circuit the MCB protects?
What does it say on it (e.g. B6, B32 etc)?
What does the label underneath it say (e.g. "downstairs sockets")?
What in the house doesn't work when it's turned off?

Better still post a photo of said consumer unit (fuse board in old money) with the affected mcb/rcd.

How do I find out which circuit the MCB protects? Also, I have an incline that the circuit is overloaded.

Well, when it trips, some circuits will stop working - those will be the ones it protects :)

Some times one can mix up the MCB and RCBO
PartID_CU.jpg
to the outside only the trip button shows what it is. In domestic over loaded circuits are rare, it did happen a lot in the 90's when people started fitting little tungsten spot lights in the ceiling and exceed the 6 amp rating of the MCB but you have not actually said what stops working. If everything works why reset a trip, it may be a redundant circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back