How can you remove a broken glass splashback? (see pic)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
6061191429_edfbf3ed38_z.jpg

It's behind a kitchen hob and under an extractor hood and it's about 50cm high by 115cm wide. The kitchen fitter used clear silicone sealant (a fair amount from what I remember) to fix the sheet to the plastered wall.

I reckon it is bound to pull loads of plaster off and if it doesn't come away I can see myself chipping at this toughened safety glass with a hammer & chisel and I really don't like the idea of that at all!

Any suggestions?

cheers
Neil

Sponsored Links
Not an easy task, but if it was me, i'd cover the whole glass splashback with a couple of layers of thick sticky parcel tape (shiny stuff), before i started trying to remove it. It probably will take off the wall surface/plaster behind it, but it'll be easy enough to repair.

Try strong nylon string over the top edge of the splashback pulled to and fro in a downward and towards you direction, thus creating a sawing effect whilst not damaging the plasterwork on either side.

Looks like it might turn out expensive to replace, you could always try hiding the crack with a row of tiles :idea:

Sponsored Links
this toughened safety glass
That isn't toughened glass - if it was, it would have shattered into tiny granules by now.

Could the glass be scored vertically just to the right of the damaged section, and then try breaking off the damaged end section only?
Might not work, however what is there to lose?

May or may not be toughened - the big problem with glass is evey piece reacts differently to the heat treatment process used to toughen it and the only way to test a piece is to break it ! ! ! !

If it is toughened it will have an etched marking somewhere on it, usually in the corner.

Cover the hob and worksurface, parcel tape and hammer & chisel or SDS drill.

Breaking in shards like that, it doesn't look like toughened glass to me either.

I'd agree it hasn't broken like safety glass although I understood that it was toughened glass so, I remember talking about heat resistance when we ordered it but not having any info about it any more, I don't know what it actually is. Thanks for the suggestions - I don't want to leave it like this, I may try all of the suggestions starting with something like high strength fishing line - worst case it will be a dangerous, messy and destructive job - just have to try and improve upon that. I doubt I'll use a large sheet glass again for anything.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back