removing a porceleain tile without damaging the others

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i recently tiled a kitchen in a flat that i plan to rent out.

View media item 86500

During my gas safe certificate i found out the existing extractor hood was too close to the gas hob so the only way for me to get my certificate singed off was to raise the height of the cooker hood leaving a untiled large gap between the tiles and the hood.

The tile size makes it more straight forward to just remove the top tile and refit a full height tile reather than cut another section to fit.

I need to remove the top tile in order to fit the new one.( see pic)
Can anyone provide some tips on how best to remove the old tile and tile adhesive whilst minmising damage to the tile below which will be staying in place?

I used porcelain tiles and this tile adhesive which seems pretty tough to remove

http://www.screwfix.com/p/mapei-keraquick-tile-adhesive-grey-5kg/86943

other than using a hammer and chisel and being very careful can any one else offer some advice?
p.s excuse the extractor not being level...that was done in a hurry with the gas engineer on site. That will be sorted out along with the cable which needs to be buried in the wall. :eek:

Sponsored Links
Spend time cutting away the grout line between the tiles you want to remove and the ones that are to stay. Use a Stanley knife for this, and it may help things to do the vertical course too.
Then, it's gently in with a bolster chisel from the top, and steady as you go.
It really depends on your luck of the day - sometimes the tiles part company easily, sometimes they take half the wall too.
Be lucky!
John :)

I Cut away the grout line then used an old flexible jointing knife and hammer to tap away gently.

Igot lucky thus time as I managed to remove the old tile in one piece without damaging the others.
Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back