How close light fittings to steel beam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Is there any regs on how close I'm allowed to fit spotlights to a steel structural beam?

TIA

Sponsored Links
You can really only go by the spots manufacturers instructions, these normally include minimum measurements.

The only (non-electrical) regs that I think could be affected, involve fire protection.
In a domestic situation, a structural steel beam usually requires half an hour of fire protection; this can be provided by a layer of pink plasterboard, intumescent paint etc.
If installing a spotlight disturbs this fire protection, then there may be an issue - perhaps fire-rated spots could appease the building inspector?

Sponsored Links
Yes, luminaire manufacturers (especially track lighting) usually give a minimum distance to surfaces.

These are usually on a sticker attached to the fitting as well as in the instructions.

Thanks guys I will check the spotlights guidelines.

My steel will be in the ceiling and therefore the fire resistent plasterboard shall just butt up against normal plasterboard, hence asking the question as the spotlights might well be drilled into the fire plasterboard.

Thanks

the spotlights might well be drilled into the fire plasterboard.
Then they may well need to be fire rated spotlights, but this isn't my speciality!
If this is part of a current project, building control may be able to advise.

Then they may well need to be fire rated spotlights, but this isn't my speciality!
If this is part of a current project, building control may be able to advise.
Yeah thought as much but rather ask here first as quicker than getting BC out for one check and they're so hard to get hold of.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back