How close to these downlights can I put insulation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Haven't got a decent pic but the flat downstairs has had new downlights fitted recently you can see two of them in this pic. I assume they are fire rated. I intend to put Rockwall Sound insulation between the joists. Although rockwall is non-flammable I assume I need to leave some clearance around the downlights? If so how much? A couple of inches?

rockwall:
http://www.rockwool.co.uk/products/...ing-insulation/rockwool-sound-insulation-slab

full size pic:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-...uI/AAAAAAAAF-4/H6jMLMW7OHc/s2500/IMG_2660.jpg

IMG_2660.jpg

Sponsored Links
They look like fire-rated cans, but that does still not mean that they can be surrounded by thermal insulation. You require the manufactures instruction, as they should inform you of the ventilation gap that should be given.
Normally the MI will specify free movement of air around the fitting, it must not be covered with thermal insulation or similar and a 100mm space around the fitting should be left.

How noisy are your downstairs neighbours?
By putting in rockwall not only will you insulate the sound you will also insulate thermally and lose the benefit of downstairs helping to heat your flat.

<A photo showing joists in a right old state>
Did you make any new holes or notches?

Also there's at least one place where you'll need to put a steel plate in to protect cables, and at least one junction box to be replaced with a maintenance free one.

Sponsored Links
By putting in rockwall not only will you insulate the sound you will also insulate thermally and lose the benefit of downstairs helping to heat your flat.
He has no choice - Part E.

He has no choice - Part E.

Is it retrospective then?
Not retrospective - he is replacing an element separating two dwellings.

and at least one junction box to be replaced with a maintenance free one.

Not required retrospectively though.
It's not retrospective - currently the JB is accessible, I'm assuming he will be making it not so.

That JB may well be part of the wiring for the flat underneath. How would he do that then?
Ah...

PS I'll bet that the ceiling is not fire rated, either :rolleyes:
hard to be sure, but looking at how far the downlighters extend above it you could well be right.

Still - the joists are sound and strong - it's not like they'll give up quickly.

Oh - hang on....

Hi

No I have not made any cuts to the joists that is as it was butchered by previous owners. No new holes will (need!) to be cut in any re-arranging. Looks like I'm spoilt for choice.

I'm not at the property at the moment but the ceiling board of the below flat looks like standard plasterboard from my observation of it. As far as I know that is permissible - since when are flat's ceilings (in converted properties) required to be changed for fireproof plasterboard? If that was the case half of london would be illegal.

Yes, I will add safe plates over the various notches.

All junction boxes will be going.

I don't know how Part E relates to modernisation of flats; safe to say I won't worry about it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back