How close to these downlights can I put insulation?

Sponsored Links
Centre of the picture, black looking cable that appears to have got trapped between joist and plasterboard.
Indeed it is trapped. I tried to pull it out but it's too tightly wedged. Fortunately it's their satellite tv cable, not an electric cable.

here's a pic after I've sorted out some of it. A whole load of wires & the junction box that was on the left have been removed as they are not required.

IMG_2679.jpg

As far as I know that is permissible - since when are flat's ceilings (in converted properties) required to be changed for fireproof plasterboard?
Probably since a l o o n n g g time ago.

If that was the case half of london would be illegal.
At least.

But never mind - it isn't the guy below you who is at risk, it's you, so if you don't give a toss if you die in a fire which started in his flat and spread to yours because the conversion is dangerous and illegal, why should anybody else? Do you live alone, or is your lack of concern for your safety going to have life-changing or life-ending consequences for other people?

I don't know how Part E relates to modernisation of flats; safe to say I won't worry about it.
You will if the guy downstairs complains about noise.

Sponsored Links
Well maybe someone could point me to some regs cos as far as I know no-one uses fire rated plasterboard as standard when doing up properties, except for protecting specific areas such as RSJ's, and I don't believe that it's use is required for standard ceilings.

so if you don't give a toss if you die in a fire which started in his flat and spread to yours because the conversion is dangerous and illegal, why should anybody else?
I really don't think standard plasterboard is a) dangerous and b) illegal. I've just spent about 3 mins reading and it would appear standard plasterboard actually behaves in a very secure way in fires. In fact British Gypsum state their standard wallboard is

'Suitable for most applications where normal fire, structural and acoustic levels are specified. Suitable for direct decoration or Thistle plaster finish.'

and

'For the purposes of the national Building Regulations, plasterboard is designated a ‘material of limited combustibility’ (Approved Document B) The surfaces of Gyproc WallBoard are designated Class 0 (for the purposes of national Building Regulations). ' etc

http://www.british-gypsum.com/~/media/Files/British-Gypsum/Data-Sheets/PDS-Gyproc-WallBoard.pdf

nowhere can I find mention that fireboard needs to be used (except around structural steel).

I really don't think standard plasterboard is a) dangerous and b) illegal.
The use of standard plaster board is only dangerous or illegal if another more resistant material should have been used.

I've just spent about 3 mins reading and it would appear standard plasterboard actually behaves in a very secure way in fires.
For how long does it behave in a very secure way ? Long enough to allow you, in the flat above the fire in the flat below, to realise there is a fire and you need to evacuate the building. ?

If the people in the flat are out when the fire starts then there will be no clear indication to you until the fire barrier between the flats is breached.

Further reading

http://www.bre.co.uk/page.jsp?id=1725
http://www.bre.co.uk/page.jsp?id=2788

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back