Can i safely put mains downlights in a small ceiling void?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

After some advice.

I am currently renovating a utility room. I am looking to put mains halogen downlights in the ceilings.
My stumbling block is the ceiling space.
The utility is on the side of my property with nothing above it. (Single Storey)
I have 100mm (height of the joist) as the roof space. I am wondering if i am able to put downlights in this space and if it will be safe to do so?
Also i am looking at insulating the roof space with kingspan/celotex style insulation which i will cut away from around the lights.

Can anyone give me any advice/help with this?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Can anyone give me any advice/help with this?

Yes

Do not use downlights.

A utility room needs lots of light, not a few torch beams that do little more than illuminate a spot. (aka spotlights).

You'll find you will need around 300watts of light to provide the same lighting as a single 58watt fluorescent would provide. AND you'll probably need to add undercupboard lights to give you some light on the worktop.

Just think of your energy bills.

And, to make it worse, you are going to put great insulation in the ceiling and then create cold spots around your ceiling torches, so goodbye to lots of your expensive heat. You'll have to leave about 100mm cleared around each downlight or they will fry themselves.

And to make it even worser, the moist air from the utility will get sucked up through the downlights and the moisture will just sit up there in the roof void and rot your ceiling timbers.

Oh yes. And 100mm won't be enough clearance for most downlights.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back