How could i seal this gap from my shower??

if u tell me which area u mean i'll take some pics with a proper camera not my phone?

according to the missus it was bought up with the guy and he said the gap wouldnt be able to be sealed as it was too large.

there was another large gap behind the sink where the wall was curving and he said the same for that too which in a few hours i've managed to seal up.

there's one more unfilled gap just next to the sink unit where i cant fill anything in as its too tight a gap but its showing the floorboards and risking water going down there.

Sponsored Links
infact

here u go

the newspapers i've put there i was tryin somethign but it couldnt be done as the gap was too tight. but thats the outer wall and the floorboards are clearly visable from that gap once the papers are taken out.

the paper tape was me too. there was gaps there which i'm sealing up and were blatantly showing. same with the other side - under the tray there was a gap all along which i've tried to seal to stop water goin there when someone's getting outta the shower.

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/2616/img1047b.jpg
http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/4407/img1046n.jpg
http://img816.imageshack.us/img816/650/img1045v.jpg

img1044q.jpg

img1043m.jpg

Thanks for the photos. StNova was indeed entirely correct - the frame hasn't been put in with any care to detail - it should be parallel with the front edge of the tray.

As for the gap originally asked about, again it seems to me that the fitter has been less than hard-working and diligent about it. There are possible solutions available (at worse he could have bridged the gap by shaping a strip of plastic trim which could thave been glued on with silicon.

As for the white plastic trim he's used around the front of the tray, this should have had a bead of silicon along the top edge to stop water getting behind it. I am struggling to understand why it has been nailed/screwed into place without these fixings being made "invisible" in some way.

As it is, I'd be inclined to get him back to fit it properly (ask his manager to come round), although now that you've started to try to make good yourself, you have potentially weakened your case.

yeah that plastic trim caught my eye too - i'd sealed at the bottom and i was planning on the top too tonight - but needless to say my sealing skills leave much to be desired.

there was no manager he was self-employed - got his number from that mybuilder

i'd considered the bridging of the gap with some sort of plastic too :(

Sponsored Links
yeah that plastic trim caught my eye too - i'd sealed at the bottom and i was planning on the top too tonight - but needless to say my sealing skills leave much to be desired.
Less is more as they say. There are a few youtube videos about ways of applying silicon neatly - which may help

i'd considered the bridging of the gap with some sort of plastic too :(
You need to search for how to scribe to unlevel surfaces - more a woodworking skill. With a bit of patience and care, you should be able to make it look decent enough.

i'll go and get pics of mine.....

edit. i can't the rooms not big enough to stand back lol

anyway that flexy base strip. i plastic welded fixing onto the back, then used kitchen style clips to go onto the legs of the shower base (i added a couple of extra ones to give it plenty to clip onto as it's quite springy), then braced it in place and the lino guy put a bead of clear silcone between it and the floor, left it overnight then removed braces, it's not moved in 2 years

as for the gap, mines got 2 walls, and a 90 degree glass, the parts the glass are mounted in have sliding ends that can be pulled in and out to meet the wall profile, then you use screws to lock them in place

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back