How could i seal this gap from my shower??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

finally had the bathroom all refitted - nice job apart from quite a few gaps left here and there. nothing that i cant do myself with some sealant.

however, i've had a shower cabin fitted and he's not secured the sides to the outer wall. allow my pics to explain.

img0728.jpg

now whilst the bottom base is fixed as close to the wall as possible - there is an increasing gap as u move upwards. same with the other side

img0730.jpg

here u can see the gap at the top much closer

two reasons i'd like this sealed - so no water splashes over the top and also u can see the tiles ending and the plaster behind showing

the frame of the shower is metal and silver (not chrome) so could i some how with some pieceing cover the gap permanently? and with what?

Sponsored Links
have you paid for the work yet? If not, don't, until it's fixed to your (reasonable) satisfaction

If you've paid someone to fit this get them back to install it properly! I could park my van in that gap.... :eek:

Sponsored Links
the tray seems level - there's no standing water anywhere. it is most likely the walls as the buildin itself is quite an age and on a slope

Always blame the missus mate ;)

Most shower profiles will take a certain amount of wonkiness in the wall. 25mm approx. Either the tray or wall or both are on the p**s. This is the installers fault, not the wife's!

so dragging the guy back is one option

could it be clipped at the top to secure it to the wall and then covering with stripping?

It should be fixed to the wall. If its not, its going move over time and ultimately leak.

In my opinion anything else is a bodge.

Whereas I can understand there being a problem since the glass splashback may need to be distorted in order to butt and fix the wallplate to the wall properly, the current installation is no satisfactory and will allow movement which will leak sooner rather than later.

something really isn't right, there is an uneven lip where the base meets the screen so it's not equal on both sides

something really isn't right, there is an uneven lip where the base meets the screen so it's not equal on both sides
Could be the camera angle making it look skew, but well spotted. While we're going in for the kill ( ;) ), I hope that that caulk line at the bottom of the plastic trim surrounding the tray isn't onto a finished floor surface :confused:

the tray seems level - there's no standing water anywhere. it is most likely the walls as the buildin itself is quite an age and on a slope
Have you got a spirit level to check whether the walls or the frame is out of vertical. Seems an obvious place to start - also the rim of the tray should be perfectly flat (the tray itself will have an inbuilt "fall", so don't use a level on this)

Could be the camera angle making it look skew, but well spotted.

noo i didn't mean that :p i ment the amount that the screen is sitting over the base on the right hand side of the pic there is a big lip, on the left hand side there is hardly any

Could be the camera angle making it look skew, but well spotted.

noo i didn't mean that :p i ment the amount that the screen is sitting over the base on the right hand side of the pic there is a big lip, on the left hand side there is hardly any
I know what you meant - like I said it may be the camera altering the perspective (I think the front edge of the tray is a raised lip which may be giving the effect)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back