How deep do you have to chase wall for wall mounted bib taps?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi again

Second belfast sink related question, but different enough from the first to require a new thread...

Our preference is for the sink to be mounted in a corner, and for the pipes to be chased in for wall mounted bib taps. Presumably that means having enough room in the chase for the vertical pipes, 90 degree elbows, and whatever else is needed to connect the pipework to the taps.

Does anyone know how much depth is required for this kind of set up? Before choosing taps etc I want to make sure the wall will be suitable.

Thanks for all the help, it's so useful having forums to address all the unanswered questions that keep popping up!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
If you want bib taps to be wall mounted then ideally you would use wall plate elbows soldered onto copper pipe. You would chase the wall to take the elbow to the depth to the top of the female outlet then drill the wall (i guess it's plaster/brick if you're chasing the wall and then screw the elbows down, best chance to ensure they stay secure long term. If you're then filling and plastering don't forget to wrap the pipe/elbows.

Hi Rob

You did indeed help, very much so :) Thank you

So was it something like this you had in mind?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/flomasta-end-feed-adapting-90-wall-plate-elbow-15mm-x/91665

And the end of the threaded section sits flush to the wall's surface. And the tap then screws into that? Just making sure I've understood you currently!

Also,

If so:

1. At the pipe end, you mention a solder joint. Is that to be preferred over a compression when chasing in?

2. Would you recommended insulating the pipes? Only a length of around 30-40cm of pipe will be chased in per pipe.

3. If using the above elbow, I guess that will dictate the depth of the pipe. But if more depth is needed (say for the insulation), would you normally bend the pipe to create the required offset?

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
That's the wall plate elbow yes.

Yes the threaded section would finish flush with the wall and then the bib tap thread is wrapped in tape/thread and then screwed into the fitting. Don't forget to have ISO valves added to the feed pipes, where they can be accessed.

1. Better to have a soldered connection in a wall rather than a mechanical connection that has the possibility to leak in the future.
2. You wrap the pipe to minimise the risk of any corrosion from mortar/plaster when covering the pipe with whatever wall finish. If it's only 300mm - 400mm then insulation probably isn't needed.
3. Yes, the pipe could be bent to create any offset required if you wished to add insulation. I'd be more inclined to cover the pipe with a metal cover or plate and fill the space with a synthetic insulation, again though wouldn't think it would be necessary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back