How deep to set a concrete fence post?

small hole, dry pack the concrete in and ram it well in while someine holds it in position. it should then stay where it is. you can also readjust it if it gets knocked. thats why we dont add the water till the fence is up.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Thermo.

To clarify, ram dry concrete mix into the holes, fill to level required then pour water into the dry mix and let it filter down to set?

I was planning on mixing my own concrete as I've heard poor reviews about postmix. When I was digging out the old concrete, parts of that were still dry and crumbly so presumably that was a readymix fo some sort.

What do you recommend?

Sponsored Links
use your own mix. knock it up, shovel it in and ram it in the hole well. that should hold the post. put up the panel and move on to the next one. at the end of the day pour in about half a bucket of water on top of the hole and it will filter down into the concrete.

If you make that mix slightly damp, you'll find it rams in very well, supporting the post quite securely (well, not so you can push hard on it, but well enough to carry on working). If your ballast is very dry, add a little water to the mix.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back