How difficult is it to raise the roof hight slightly?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We are looking at doing a loft conversion on a 1950's bungalow in Bournemouth and to get the maximum possible space will need to put full length dormas on both sides.. This will essentially mean the dormas are inline with the ridge and my concern is it will look like a box stuck on the top of the roof..

Obviously there is a lot of carpentry work anyway to adapt the rafters and build the dormas so I was thinking it maybe more beneficial to replace the roof and use attic trusses instead and raise the ridge line a couple of feet which would make the whole thing look a lot better and with a completely designed roof would probably get better space utilisation..

I know this means full planning permission but how hard is it to get permission to raise the hight of the roof?

Thanks..

Sponsored Links
depends on what the surrounding buildings are like.

If they are all similar bungalows, very unlikely

If they are two storey houses then more likely

Have you considered a fake mansard roof rather than dormers.

Have you considered a fake mansard roof rather than dormers.

No I haven't.. Would that mean no need for planning permission if the ridge hight stayed the same?
Or would it still need planning because it would affect the front elevation of the house?

Sponsored Links
With that user name I hope you're not moving to Bournemouth to use the surf reef. It never worked, although there is quite a good break by the piers when the conditions are right.

As for raising the roof ridge height. As others have suggested it depends entirely on the property and the relationship with adjacent properties.

I have done a few now in and around Bournemouth and it is just a matter of making a case that the proposal will not adversely affect the general street scene and not cause loss of amenity to neighbouring properties. Try scanning through the Bournemouth Planning website for similar applications in the area which might shed some light on their likely response. Although I have to say Bournemouth Planning Department is one of my least favourite authorities to work with.

Good Luck

Although I have to say Bournemouth Planning Department is one of my least favourite authorities to work with.

No, gave up surfing MANY years ago now.. :)

Yes, I have heard that staying within "permitted development" is a far less stressful option than dealing with the Bournemouth planning office.. Just don't want the dormas to look like a flat box dropped on the top.. Guess I need to give it some thought..

We raised the roof of our bungalow when we did our loft conversion, we had no problems getting planning permission, our roof is higher than our two neighbours who are bungalows and we put two dormas on the front.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back