raising the roof height

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i'am new here. Hello to everyone. My question is how easy is it to get planning permission to raise the roof height to create attic space. i live in a 3-bed detached house. All other houses in my road have very tall roof ridge heights although they are all different in design.

Sponsored Links
It is possible, it will depend on whether it looks ok or not following the work, are you in a conservation area or area of outstanding natural beauty etc? Unfortunately, rarely, this is not really something that can be answered on a Forum, only a chat with your local Planning department will tell allow you to know if it is worth trying or not. Can you post a photo? Is a dormer extension something you have thought about?

If surrounding houses have a variety of pitches, heights, shapes and orientation then you would have a very good chance. In fact I raised my own ridge height by 1m for exactly the same thing. Although I had to go to appeal to get it.

It is possible, it will depend on whether it looks ok or not following the work, are you in a conservation area or area of outstanding natural beauty etc? Unfortunately, rarely, this is not really something that can be answered on a Forum, only a chat with your local Planning department will tell allow you to know if it is worth trying or not. Can you post a photo? Is a dormer extension something you have thought about?

i dont live in a conservation area or outstanding beauty , well some might think living next to an industrial estate is of outstanding beauty :confused: yes i think a chat with planning is the way forward but i wanted to pick up enough info to
equip myself. I haven't given dormers a thought as i wish to get over this first hurdle. Thank you for your response.

Sponsored Links
If surrounding houses have a variety of pitches, heights, shapes and orientation then you would have a very good chance. In fact I raised my own ridge height by 1m for exactly the same thing. Although I had to go to appeal to get it.

its just that i was reading plannings do's and donts and came across something like they will not allow increases from original height but in my road its all different with all being alot higher and with kids growing fast,we need more room. Thank you for your encouraging comment. I hope it won,t come to the stage where i will have to appeal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back