raising the roof - planning controls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a bungalow with rooms in loft but upstairs the walls are set in from the brickwork to get a more usable use - rather than going down to nearly no height.

We are planning an extension and I wondered if I could get approval for a couple of course of blockwork, thus raising the roof height by about 45cm. I know this means new timberwork but the space we gain, and opportunity to increase the insulation makes it worthwhile.

Anybody know what restrictions will apply?

Sponsored Links
I have in the past got permission for extensions with higher ridges than the existing dwelling but on the whole Local Authorities wish for extensions to be the same or subservient and with similar roof pitches.

You will need planning if going higher than the existing ridge but may get away with a Permitted Development scheme if the ridge is equal and at the rear and fulfil various other criteria (see planning portal). Let us know more info, side/rear... and I'm sure we can help further.

thanks - I'll check PP. At this stage we are getting our ideas together so that have some direction to give the architect when we appoint him.

Sponsored Links
It very much depends on surrounding styles, heights, designs. If nearby houses are very similar with uniform roof heights and orientation then the likelihood of altering your roof will be reduced. On the other hand if nearby houses are a variety of designs and levels then it's not normally a problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back