How do I chase out a wall for a thermo shower mixer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I'm fitting a thermostatic shower mixer in the bathroom, it's a flush fit however I need some help with hiding the pipework.

I need to chase out the wall for both the hot and cold pipes but I'm not sure which is the best method, using a chisel and brute force or hiring a pro wall chaser. The bathroom is being totally rebuilt and the entire wall where the shower goes will be tiled so I'm not too concerned about any mess or a perfect finish on the chased out wall section. Pipework comes from under the floor right underneath the bath.

Also do I need to use any form of conduit or do I just fix the pipes to the wall and board over?

Thanks in advance...

Sponsored Links
Wall chasers are a pain in the a$$ in my experience, far too heavy and unmanoeuvrable IMHO. I use a 5" angle grinder followed by hammer and chisel, does the job nicely

Nothing to stop you building a false wall, which you would be able to ensure made a perfect 90 for the shower tray, and could be lined with aquapanel.

Failing that I use a little kango to chisel it out.

Sponsored Links
Hmm, sounds like hard work. Saying that its only about 1.3m of chasing thats needed. Presume its just as easy to chase one big slot rather than two individual slots?

Forgot to mention but there's no shower tray, it will be mounted above a roll top bath..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back