How do I connect 2x PIR & 3x non-PIR lights in cct?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to fit one PIR light at either end of a long driveway with three non-PIR lights in cct between them. How do I use one supply to feed all 5 lights allowing either PIR light to actuate all the other lights together?
Diagrams very welcome.

Sponsored Links
You need to check that the individual PIRs can take the proposed load of all the lights and that the MIs do not prohibit such a set-up.
You will need a 3 core SWA cable (or 4 core if you wish to use a core as cpc) to interlink between all the lights. Two of the cores will be the Line and Neutral, and another core for the switched Line. The feed will come into the first light, presumably one of the PIR lights. Then the interconnecting SWA will connect to L, N and SL. Only the SL and N will connect to the middle lights with the L being connected through. Then at the other end (PIR light) the 3 cores will again connect to L, N and SL.

Oh and.....//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part_p

Wot ricicle said.

PIRs that use relays (clicky) are more likely to be tolerant of being wired in parallel than ones that use triacs (silent).

You'll need a bit more space at the fittings as you're running 3+e cabling and need the extra terminal for the permanent L to loop through.

Halogen floodlights in particular are likely to have a high inrush current and switching 5 of them on one PIR, even if theoretically within rating, might cause something to go pop.

If it's a really long driveway you might want a PIR halfway along as well. Just in case the car breaks down - save the chauffeur walking in the dark.

You need to check that the individual PIRs can take the proposed load of all the lights and that the MIs do not prohibit such a set-up.
And that you can actually access the output of an integrated PIR.

Which you probably can't.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back