How do I connect a 4.5kw heater to the mains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just purchased a sauna with a 20amp 4.5 kw heater and I was wondering how I go about connecting it the the mains?
The sauna is situated near a 13amp wall :cry: plug socket that is not used at the moment.
Can I convert this socket with a spur or something to connect my sauna to?

Sponsored Links
Simple answer about the socket...NO.

A 20A load should be on it's own circuit, depending on distance from the board I would suggest the use of 4.0mm T&E to supply it. Locally it should be fed via a 20A Double Pole Switch. (This must not be mounted in the bathroom itself, unless it can be placed in Zone 3....in excess of 800mm from the bath)

In your Consumer unit, if it is not already a split load board or has an RCD main switch, it MUST be protected by an RCBO rated at 20A 30mA (Type B)

That way if anything goes wrong you know it will disconnect the supply.

Personally on such a potentially dangerous installation I would urge you call an electrician.

The Sauna is outside next to my Spa which already has its own 20amp supply from the consumer unit.
Could I come off this as I do not want anymore cables running around the wall outside of my house.!
The Spa is powered from the Consumer unit in my garage and has its own C/B also in the garage, then the protected cable runs outside to the Spa. :cry:

woody, NO...This will need it's own supply, whether in a room in the house, in the garden or on the moon (Bit nippy for a spa there..or hot depending on time of lunar day!!)

As this is outside, it must be connected to an RCD or RCBO mounted in the consumer unit, and it MUST have a local isolator adjacent to the unit that is IPX4 rated.

Sponsored Links
Not a qualified electrician personally, but I thought it was 600mm too.

Now, don't take this the wrong way, but if you have a house with it's own spa and sauna then surely you can afford the extra peace of mind of getting yourself a NICEIC electrician to do the labouring. I realise that part of DIY is the fun of doing the job and the feeling at the end of being able to look at it and think "I did that", but as FWL says it is a potentially dangerous installation. Especially seeing as in a sauna you usually pour water onto the rocks on the heater. Which wouldn't be fun if you muck up the wiring.

FWL: is IPX4 really enough for an outside unit? You are the one who has experience of installing such equipment, however I would have thought that IP45 or IP46 (not just IPX5 and IPX6) would be more suitable for a garden, seeing as it is possible there would be hose-fights and there is a certainty that there would be driving rain.

Adam, Simon, you are right, officially the zone starts at 600mm, but I alway tell people 800 to be on the safe side.

Regarding the IPX4 rating..typo on my part...should have been IPX7..watertight

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back