How do i connect a new kitchen light with old ceiling wires?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

hi all my bf took down our ceiling light to put up a new 1 but didnt take note of what went where now we cant wire up our new light without flipping the power, there is 3 sets of cables coming from the ceiling each with a live, neutral and earth wire in each. how do i connect them to my new light???
please help[/b

Sponsored Links
just a basic ceiling rose (i think) has 3 spot lights on it. there is no tape to say which one is live n i dont have a multimeter.

does he feel a bit of a muppet :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

first get a multimeter
2. turn off the power (most important!)
3. with the multimeter determine which of the 3 cables is the switch wires (1 red, 1black + earth in 1 sheave)
(by using the buzzer setting on your multimeter) only 1 will buzz when switch is on and stop when you flick the switch to off

when you have that sorted!
then proceed to the red wires in the other cables these join together with the red from your switch wire and dont attach to the light cables

the black switch wire joins to the red/brown of the light this wire should be sleeved to indicate it is a live not a neutral
the 2 remaining blacks go tegether and the black/blue to the light goes with these

if you follow this everything should return to normal

BUT HEY WHAT IS NORMAL :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
will have to wait till tomoz now till i can get a multimeter hes such a prat wudnt wait 4 me 2 come home from work n now cant remember which is the live :cry:

just a basic ceiling rose (i think) has 3 spot lights on it. there is no tape to say which one is live n i dont have a multimeter.
I take it there is enough room in the fitting for a terminal block so you should be OK following the link I gave above - but you need a multimeter even if you can just borrow one.

Unless there's more than 1 light worked by the switch, then if you have 3 cables, and you leave them all disconnected, there will be other lights on that circuit which stop working....

If you look at the diagram here: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting-circuit-layouts you'll see why. In that example, is you disconnected all the cables at the kitchen rose then the lounge light would be OK but the dining room one wouldn't.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back