HOW DO I DEADEN A DOUBLE PLUG SOCKET??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi members

please forgive my stupidness in asking this question but i have always strayed from diy electrics and let the professionals in to do it. but alas my moneypot has run dry and i need some advice please.

i had a plasma installed on the wall and had a double socket installed behind. we have altered the room layout now and i have a double socket floating on a wall and i need to get rid.

whats the safest way to deaden this socket? my intention is to fill in the holes with filler and smooth over and repaint.... before i go and kill myself i thought i would ask peeps who knew their stuff

thanks in advance for your help

dandare

Sponsored Links
hi members

please forgive my stupidness in asking this question but i have always strayed from diy electrics and let the professionals in to do it. but alas my moneypot has run dry and i need some advice please.

i had a plasma installed on the wall and had a double socket installed behind. we have altered the room layout now and i have a double socket floating on a wall and i need to get rid.

whats the safest way to deaden this socket? my intention is to fill in the holes with filler and smooth over and repaint.... before i go and kill myself i thought i would ask peeps who knew their stuff

thanks in advance for your help

dandare

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

That would be the most dangerous thing to do. The safest thing would be to leave it alone and get used to it.

You mustn't plaster over electrical cables and fittings leaving no clue they are there, as this increases the danger that someone will drill or nail into the hidden cable.

Can you take the floor up?

If you intend to remove the socket-outlet completely and fill in the area,
You will also need to remove the cable.
So you need to find out how the socket is fed.
It could part of a ring extension, radial or a spur.
So firstly you need to isolate the circuit and find out what cables are in the back of the socket, if there is only one set of red,black,green/yellow (old colours) or one set of brown, blue, yellow/gren (new colours)
or if there are two sets of these.
Once you done that you then need to trace the cables back to where they are being supplied from.
So firstly check the cables out, then logically they should be connected to the nearest socket-outlet, but this is not always true.
The only other thing would be to replace the socket face plate, with a blanking plate, but you would not be able to plaster this.

Sponsored Links
If the cable comes up from below the floor, you could perhaps chop in a box at the same height as the other sockets and have the cable to feed a socket at low level

How many CABLES, not wires, at the socket?

If there is one cable (3 wires) you may be lucky and find it wired into a nearby socket, where you will be able to disconnect it.

However, some basic knowledge and research will be needed before you start.

Hi dandare13,

The only SAFE method that a householder can do without a fully qualified electrician to certify the work complies with Part P of the Building Regulations (LAW)

Switch off the electricity, remove the socket, put all live wires red or brown together in one terminal connector, put all black or blue wires in another terminal connector, then all green and yellow into another terminal connector.

refit the back box into the wall then face off with a blanking face.

Then hide the socket under a picture.

If you require to do any more you need an electrician, who can safely certify that the work has been done safely and satisfies Part P of the Building Regs, 17th edition of the wiring regulations and your insurance policy. If you do work that is not certified you will not be able to insure or sell your house in the future.

Switch off the electricity, remove the socket, put all live wires red or brown together in one terminal connector, put all black or blue wires in another terminal connector, then all green and yellow into another terminal connector.

refit the back box into the wall then face off with a blanking face.
With reference to the relevant parts of the Building Regulations please show why that would be allowed but removing the cables running to that point would not be.

Then hide the socket under a picture.
If you're going to do that why bother with all of the above?

If you do work that is not certified you will not be able to insure or sell your house in the future.
What would prevent him?

Hi ban all sheds,

Building Regulations stipulate that all electrical work carried out on a domestic dwelling must be carried out according to BS7671 which is concerned with Electrical safety if you doubt me please read a document entitled Building Regulations 2000 Approved Document Part P page 9 requires any alteratrion to the original wiring of a building requires to be inspected and teasted before taking back into service, which requires certifying that minor work satisfies the requirements of BS7671 as ammended in the 17th Edition.
The original design of the electrical installation is being altered by removing an original fitting then it has to be redesigned to ensure that it still complies with the regulations.

Only and electrician who has passed Gity and Gulids 2391 Level 3 Certificate in Inspection and Testing of Electrical Installations could possibly have the knowledge to certify if this has been undertaken in a proffesional manner.

2nd Point the terminals and cable ends require to be accesible wherever they are joined for inspection and testing every 10 years.

3rd Point in the event of a fire caused by electrical fault, the 1st thing an insurance company would ask for would be the Electrical Safety Certificate
this requirement has now been in force since January 2000 it is now 2011 and a certificate has to be issued every 10 years on all dwellings, the insurance company is under no obligation to pay out a claim unless this certificate can be produced.

I hope I have answered your query. You do not have to have these things done professionally but it is in your better interests that you do.

The preceding tale by kris710 is true.

And by true, I mean false. It's all lies.

But they're entertaining lies.

And in the end, isn't that the real truth?

The answer is no.

Hi ban all sheds,

Building Regulations stipulate that all electrical work carried out on a domestic dwelling must be carried out according to BS7671 which is concerned with Electrical safety if you doubt me please read a document entitled Building Regulations 2000 Approved Document Part P page 9 requires any alteratrion to the original wiring of a building requires to be inspected and teasted before taking back into service, which requires certifying that minor work satisfies the requirements of BS7671 as ammended in the 17th Edition.
The original design of the electrical installation is being altered by removing an original fitting then it has to be redesigned to ensure that it still complies with the regulations.

Only and electrician who has passed Gity and Gulids 2391 Level 3 Certificate in Inspection and Testing of Electrical Installations could possibly have the knowledge to certify if this has been undertaken in a proffesional manner.

2nd Point the terminals and cable ends require to be accesible wherever they are joined for inspection and testing every 10 years.

3rd Point in the event of a fire caused by electrical fault, the 1st thing an insurance company would ask for would be the Electrical Safety Certificate
this requirement has now been in force since January 2000 it is now 2011 and a certificate has to be issued every 10 years on all dwellings, the insurance company is under no obligation to pay out a claim unless this certificate can be produced.

I hope I have answered your query. You do not have to have these things done professionally but it is in your better interests that you do.

I can feel a three page essay coming :mrgreen:

Building Regulations stipulate that all electrical work carried out on a domestic dwelling must be carried out according to BS7671
Please show us where.

if you doubt me please read a document entitled Building Regulations 2000 Approved Document Part P
Approved Document P is not the Building Regulations.

page 9 requires any alteratrion to the original wiring of a building requires to be inspected and teasted before taking back into service, which requires certifying that minor work satisfies the requirements of BS7671 as ammended in the 17th Edition.
No it doesn't.

Why might it not?

Wrong.

Indeed, but my point was if you're going to hang a picture over a blanking plate to hide it why not just hang it over the socket in the first place and save all the work?

Would they?

What is an "Electrical Safety Certificate"? Where is its scope defined? Who can issue one?

this requirement has now been in force since January 2000
Please define "requirement", and please say what happened in January 2000 to make it so.

it is now 2011 and a certificate has to be issued every 10 years on all dwellings,
Please define "has to be".

the insurance company is under no obligation to pay out a claim unless this certificate can be produced.
Are they not? I thought they were obliged to pay out according to the terms of their policy.

I hope I have answered your query.
I hope you aren't disappointed that you haven't.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back