how do I do a 45 degree corner on brickwork?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I'm building a Victorian style conservatory and have to do some 45 degree corners. Having never done these before I just wanted some advice as to the correct way to do this? Is there an on line tutorial to watch?

thanks

Sponsored Links
You can either get the bricks cut via a brick cutting service or buy some completely different brick special cants i.e. blue or red engineerings.

what if the corners are not 45 degrees. what would I have to do if the angle was only 30 degrees?

Sponsored Links
The correct way would be to birdsmouth the corner, or get hold of some squint bricks to form the corners.

The problem with squints is that they will probably be a completely different brick. A birdsmouth will use the same bricks, but you may not like the effect.

The cop-out way would be to cut the bricks and form a straight joint, with ties every two course

I've watched them cutting squints at my local Ibstock yard. They cut the angle out and stick the pieces back together with PVA. Dunk the join into the dust and it is almost invisible - unless you look really closely.

here's a sketch

You can get specials that are the same as the bricks you build it with, hard to find and very expensive, Squints at £2.50 and dog legs (for internals) £5.00 last time I did one.

Getting your bricks cut and stuck cost approx £5.00 a brick, you supply the bricks, get a few over for breakages..

I've done them myself with my cut off saw with a diamond blade, stuck with epoxy resin and dusted with the brick dust made as said before. It was very satisfying I must say and looked very good.

I've never used the round ended multi angle bricks, my only thoughts are they must be a bugger to point!

Didnt see you were in Essex, any where near Hainault, great brick place up there, E.T.Clay on Flower road, if they cant get your specials, nobody can.

Also, have you got a base plan to work to, building vickys is not easy and in my expeprience working off the cill does not work.

We built one four years ago.

Squints are available for our brick but lead time was 2 months plus, forget what the price was but for 16-20 it was not an issue.

The builder's merchant who supplied the bricks knew of a cut and glue service and got them done and delivered with the rest of the bricks.

Go into a good builder's merchant and ask them what they can do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back