How do I erect a wooden fence?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Morning Folks

I am thinking of erecting a normal wooden fence on one side on my garden.

How do I decide how many poles and panels I would need? Would you recommend having concrete panels? What is the difference?

With the fence panels, would you suggest have concrete at the bottom?

Once I have all the materials, what is the first thing I should start with?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Sponsored Links
Personally I'd go for concrete posts, and timber panels that slot into the pre formed guides on the posts.
Timber posts will eventually rot and fail; concrete posts are there for ever if need be. The panels slid into place will eventually fail but they will last a long time if treated and the bottom rails are kept above the ground.
The average panel size is 6' and that will give you some idea of the spacing.
The concrete posts must be set into holes filled with concrete - the correct spacing is very important, likewise keeping the posts in a straight line.
Naturally enough, each post must be vertical in both planes!
John :)

Sponsored Links
The same applies if you are going to use timber posts....go for a minimum of 4" square, pressure treated and treated again, and they'll need to down a hole 2' deep, and bedded down with concrete.
John :)

If its your first fence don't go for something to elaborate. Pick an easy and relatively cheap style and you will enjoy the process more. Expensive materials put to much pressure on the DIY'er for the first attempt.
Find a fence locally that you like the look of, and just copy it. A 5 strand timber fence using D rail type timbers looks really well.
Is it a level site or have you a hill to contend with?
You wont need all these tools and you certainly don't have to buy than at W**cks ............... :)

I started watching that, but didn't have the patience to wait for his slow delivery.

I'm a competent DIYer but also have to go to work. Rather than spend weeks of spare time erecting a wonky fence, I paid someone who knew what he was doing to let me help him do it. We had 20 metres of 2 metre high fencing up in half a day, dead straight and solid. It helped that I own a concrete mixer.

Cheers
Richard

I think the video says it all. I watched the full video as well, and it seems that your problem is totally manageable through a proper procedure. However, if ever things went difficult, find professionals to help you work on it.

Probably a bit late now, but I put up a fence a bit back and chose not to use those horrible ready made panels (for which you have to have the posts exactly 6ft apart). I used a post-and-rail system, clad with vertical featheredge boards. Great thing about this system is you can be as rough as you want with post spacings etc, as long as you have a 100mm exposure on each board, it'll look fine from the outside. Mine looks good from both angles by the way. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back