how do i fit a panic button

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
how do i fit a separate panic button to my texecom veritas r8 has it has one in the keypad which is downstairs and id like one upstairs

Sponsored Links
Easiest way to do it would be to wire into an unused zone and then program that zone as the a PA.

The installation manual explains how to this if you have it if not they can be found on the web.

Its probably easier just to wire into a new zone rather than try and modify any of the existing wiring or junctions.

PS I am just a DIYer but I do have some experience with alarm wiring and the control panel in question.

You would need the engineers code to start with. Without this you have no chance. If you have get some correct alarm cable ( Stranded, not solid drawn as BT or CAT cable). And of course a new panic button. Be aware some are different now and you will probably just need a single push one.
Wire as shown in the manual and then programme the end station as the instructions. A relativity simple job.
Just be sure to isolate the mains to the end station before opening it as a shock can injure or kill.

Yeah I forgot when I made that comment that alarm companies don't give the engineer code to their customers :p.

Sponsored Links
thanks for your comments but i got an even bigger problem now after powering it up and entering engineers code i get tamper light on and it wont set on checking it the fault gives me error code 1 and 3 and also do i have to have a bell box wired up or can i just have the external siren if so how do i wire it up as it only has a pos and neg wire any comments would be very helpful thankyou

Well from what you say there is an issue with the tamper circuit and zones one and three.
Take it back to basics and rebuild the system one component at a time.
As you seem to have the manual, read it through and set up as it suggests rather than "build" it all in one go. As you are not used to this from your comments.

Is there a tamper loop for the bell box? If so and its not connected this needs to be shorted.

Also if you have opened the box make sure the the spring switch is catching on the lid ok.

I had the same problem with this evening when I commissioned my new install for the first time. Soon realised I had forgot to short the tamper on the bell box (not wired it up yet) and I also adjusted the tamper switch.

It needs to be linked to a negative return, not shorted to anything. This might explain one of the tampers. Not the zones being open.
There may well be a "short" dropping power to the pirs (if they are that on the open zones). As for what is on the tamper circuit, that needs isolating and then checking individually.

found the fault was the tamper spring on control panel now to program the alarm and i dunt know where to start :confused:

It is programmed already.
Zone 1 Entry/Exit.

Read the book.
Easy to tell you, better you learn. Then you know the system and can fault find, if needed.
Ask away, but try yourself, more fun too................

We ( experienced engineers) get new kit, chuck the instructions and find out what it does or not. Then we read up for the specific tricks it does if we have not fund out already.
For general DIY the rule is RTFM, with us its TTFMA :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back