How do I fix this leaking radiator?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A14850BB-D908-4030-AC5D-0B76883B4A6E.jpeg
So when I close the knob on this radiator water starts leaking... is there any quick fix or will I need to call a plumber? Thanks

Attachments

• D9CBCAA3-B74D-481C-8AC0-3A09B334A0E4.jpeg
    D9CBCAA3-B74D-481C-8AC0-3A09B334A0E4.jpeg
    173 KB · Views: 60
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Give us a pic of the valve with the cap off, just to see if there is a gland nut......mine just have an 'O' ring seal.
Maybe a quality adjustable spanner would be more use to you, long term?
John :)

Yup, I'd get someone in to replace the valve and get a TRV on it unless it's a bypass or in the same room as the thermostat, any fix will probably only last short term and chances are it'll leak again in the future.
Surely a new valve would last a long time though?

Remove the white cap with a flat screwdriver.
Remove the brass nut around the spindle by untightening it anticlockwise.
Wrap a few turns of Ptfe tape around the spindle, and then press it down to it surrounds the spindle.
Put some silicone grease on top to make it easy to put the nut back on.
Then screw the nut back on clockwise tight.

If it still leaks, repeat this process.

Surely a new valve would last a long time though?

Yes a new valve would indeed. The comment was regarding using packing to reseal the gland. If the gland is now letting by then any fix would just be temporary, chances are it will leak again in the future the more it gets used. The old valve owes you nothing and a new TRV valve is relatively cheap to fit especially if it's done by an experienced installer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back