How do I install a Sensor light outside?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, Can someone tell me what is the best way to run wiring to the outside of my house for a sensor light? I really don't want to rip up floorboards so I was thinking is it possible to somehow run power from a socket in my bedroom? (Do I create a spur running wires to a FCU and then from the FCU to the outside wall for the light? - If so what type of wire?) I already have a hole drilled from my bedroom to the outside wall for an aerial cable. I want to use this also for the wiring so I don't have any more holes drilled in the wall! I would appreciate any helpful advice as I would love to do this myself and save £140 which I was quoted!! Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The good news is I think you can do this work yourself without involving building control, and you sound reasonably competent.

You're on the right track - you need an FCU. However, many people would take issue with running mains alongside signal wiring.

Use 2.5mm² cable to supply the FCU from a socket on the ring main, and 1.0mm² 3 core black flex to supply the floodlight. Use black flex as it weathers better, and will be easier to wire into the outside light.

If you have a long drillbit, make another hole. It should be possible to take the flex through from behind the FCU so it cant be seen from inside.

Thanks for that. Should I get a switched FCU or does it not really matter? It is a 500W sensor Floodlight so what fuse should I put in the FCU? 3amp or 5amp or more? And should I run the wiring on the outside wall through conduit? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Needs to be a switched spur - what do you do when you want to change the bulb? Switched and unswitched FCU's are about the same price anyway.

5 Amp fuse will be fine.

I personally wouldn't use conduit, just bear in mind that cables do not last forever outside.

I have checked the socket that I'm planning to spur off and it has 2 wires going into each connection. So am I right in saying that it is perfectly safe to create a spur from?

Not necessarily - it might already be a non-compliant spur with more than one socket...

De-Energise the circuit in question, unplug everything, remove the socket you intend to spur of and check for continuity between each of the conductors. L-L, N-N, E-E. If you have continuity, your cooking on gas, if not, then things could get complicated. If you have continuity on some but not others, you have a real problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back