How do I remove cut clasp nails?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ello,

After removing a load of skirting, I'm left with these huge nails embedded into the brick / stonework

orriH8E.jpg

70G6zBW.jpg

How would you go about removing them?

Sponsored Links
claw hammer tight to wall and rotate
or tap up and down or side to side to bend on narrow edge till it breaks the tap nails flat

or possibly pull great chunks out by levering out

I had a load of 100 year old ones stuck in the wall after removing skirts and picture rails. In so many rooms...

Most with the strength of fudge.

Any that don't easily come out with sideways tapping and a tug, I used a dremel at an angle.

Otherwise huge chunks of wall come away with them

They rarely pull out cleanly, but try that (a pair of nippers is always better to use than a claw hammer). Smack with a hammer to break off then punch under any bit left sticking out with a hammer and if needs be a nail set. It isn't really an issue

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
the good thing about too and fro is the tend to bend just below the surface on the "solid" bit off the brick or wall so often flush or slightly recessed

Put a bit of wood behind the claw hammer when pulling them out, helps prevent indents into the plaster.

Just about to suggest that. :LOL:
assuming the skirting is say 18mm with a cut nail knocked fully home you would be possibly down to 11 -13mm behind the claw so perhaps 6mm ply 100x100mm with a slot to a central hole to go around the nail would work best at protecting the plaster and holding in place it may off course get chewed up on uneven walls with anti damp gaps at the wall base but easy enough to make another

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back