How do I remove the cover on a Triton T90i?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Triton T90i shower that is no longer heating the water, so my first step is to remove the cover - anyone know how to do this?

Sponsored Links
thanks, I thought they were holding the whole unit to the wall.
I assume I first remove the two knobs.

Sponsored Links
The Can Assembly - 8.5kW has four terminals at the top - I am guessing that this is for the two coils, with the two on the left for one heater and the two on the right for the other.
Current can flow through the two on the left but not through the two on the right, so if I am right about the coils, this must be why the water is just barely getting warm.
Does this sound right?

you got it in one if you have no continuity on that heating element its faulty new can needed.

ok-wink.gif

no, 2 elements not coils. live live neutral neutral.

how are you measuring the current? you need an ammeter clamp or open jaw.

you need power off and test the resistance through the elements they should be similar, then check there is no short to earth, you will need an insulation tester for this, if one or the other is open circuit or shorted to earth then they are scrap.

proper test equipment should be a steal at about £400, or get an electrician.

no point in checking for resistance hes stated that power is not going through the element, that tells you straight away that he has no continuity on that element.
as for an insulation tester waste of time 90% of electric shower faults can be checked with voltage, continuity, and ohms test.

with respect thats not what he said :arrow:

Current can flow through the two on the left but not through the two on the right,

he has no way of determining a flow of current, what he alluding to is that he can measure voltage at 2 terminals, he wouldn't read voltage at the neutral side unless the neutral was disconnected further down the circuit because neutral is usually only slightly above earth potential.

an insulation test to earth is essential as it tests at twice mains voltage or higher.

a resistance test shows continuity and correct resistance, how else are you going to test functionality of an immersible heating element?

finally a load test confirms correct current measured in amps not volts.

bear in mind he's probably using a tester screw driver :LOL:

ok, I took a short cut - I used a resistance meter to see if any current could flow between the left pair of terminals compared to the right pair.

Testing the new CAN assembly that arrived today, I can see that it is the front pair of terminals that are connected to one element and the back pair that are connected to the other.

I didn't want to disconnect the terminals before I had the part, in case I could not get it back together - a shower that just barely heats is better than nothing.

On the CAN assembly that arrived, there is a sticker to ring Triton customer service before installing it - is this just them covering themselves, or is there something I should know?

Spoke to Triton yesterday and they were very helpful.
the sticker is there for people installing new showers. But they did answer my concerns about how to fit the CAN assembly - it turned out to be very easy (30 minutes in total).
thanks for all your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back